Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Ria
Frequent Visitor

fiscal year compared to prior year

I have total costs for the current year compared to the prior year by month.  (PR YEAR = CALCULATE(SUM(DATA[TOTAL]),PARALLELPERIOD(DATES[Date].[Date],-12,MONTH))  

I would like to see this for the fiscal year.  In my DATES table, I have: FiscalYearNumber = If( Month([Date]) >= 7  , Year([Date])+1,Year([Date]) ) and FiscalMonth = (If( Month([Date]) >= 7  , Month([Date]) - 6,Month([Date]) + 6 ))

How do I adjust the PR YEAR to calculate based on my new fiscal year and month?

data.GIF

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi @Ria,

>>If my calendar date is Aug 28/YY then the fiscal date is 02/28/YY, but calendar date Aug 29/YY becomes 03/1/YY.

By default, the date function will auto convert the date calculation.

I also not found a better solution to solve this issue. In my opinion, I'd like to suggest you to ignore the "day" of fiscal date, only keep the year and month.

Notice: Fiscal date not the real date, you not need to care about the detail day of date. You only need to ensure the original data are in the same month.

Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

Community Support Team _ Xiaoxin
If this post helps, please consider accept as solution to help other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
v-shex-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Ria,

You can add a calculage column to calculate the fiscal date, then modify your formula based on it.

Sample:

Fiscal Date = DATE(If( Month([Date]) >= 7  , Year([Date])+1,Year([Date])),If( Month([Date]) >= 7  , Month([Date]) - 6,Month([Date]) + 6 ),DAY([Date]))

Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

If this post helps, please consider accept as solution to help other members find it more quickly.

This mostly works except that it does not account for the fact that all months do not have the same number of days.  If my calendar date is Aug 28/YY then the fiscal date is 02/28/YY, but calendar date Aug 29/YY becomes 03/1/YY.  Is there a way to account for this?

Hi @Ria,

>>If my calendar date is Aug 28/YY then the fiscal date is 02/28/YY, but calendar date Aug 29/YY becomes 03/1/YY.

By default, the date function will auto convert the date calculation.

I also not found a better solution to solve this issue. In my opinion, I'd like to suggest you to ignore the "day" of fiscal date, only keep the year and month.

Notice: Fiscal date not the real date, you not need to care about the detail day of date. You only need to ensure the original data are in the same month.

Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

Good idea.  I made the day the first day of the month so that the month is always correct.

Fiscal Date = DATE(if(month([Date].[Date]) >=7, Year([Date].[Date])+1,year([Date].[Date])),if(month([Date].[Date])>=7, month([Date].[Date]) - 6, Month([Date].[Date]) +6),1)

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.