Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Cathryn
Helper III
Helper III

filters

Hi All -

I have been searching for an answer everywhere but I can't find it.  

I have a page level filter that is a number value and I can't get it to display in ascending order.   All my numeric fields that I put on my page filter all display as 10,9,8... instead of 8,9,10.

I have tried sorting it everywhere possible such as in the dataset, the data from the database, etc.   Do I have a setting somewhere that is telling my Power BI to display all my numeric filter options descending?

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

A slicer is used to create an interactive experience for a consumer of the report.  A page level (or visual or report level) filter COULD be used for the same purpose, but is more intended to exclude the relevant data from the page/visual/report.  If you want to have interactivity, use a slicer.  When you publish to PowerBI.com, the end consumer may not have access to the page level filtering.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

Can you provide a screen shot of what you are describing?  Are you saying that when you add your field to the page level filter area and expand it to make a selection that the order is descending?

Thank you for responding...yes 

I don't know how to paste a screen shot in so I'll type how it looks.  They are checkboxes :

M_Value(All)  (field)

Filter Type

Basic filtering

If you can tell me how to paste a snip copy in this, I can do that

Cat

You have to use the Snip tool (or equivalent) and save the image to your machine, then attach it to your post as a photo.  Painful I know...

And please indicate what the data type is for the field in question. 

So I just tested this with some dummy data and yes, the numeric field was presented in descending order.  I've never noticed this before.  With that said, I put the same field in a slicer and it displayed in ascending order, so I'm not sure why there is this discrepancy.

Not sure if there is a fix or workaround, but does it really matter?  The page level filter isn't really something the consumer of the report will see.

I'm new to using Power BI so I'm sorry if this is a naive question but the filter is visible to the customer so they can filter on what month they want to see.  Should that be a slicer instead?  What's the difference?  Our customers can see the filters

A slicer is used to create an interactive experience for a consumer of the report.  A page level (or visual or report level) filter COULD be used for the same purpose, but is more intended to exclude the relevant data from the page/visual/report.  If you want to have interactivity, use a slicer.  When you publish to PowerBI.com, the end consumer may not have access to the page level filtering.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.