Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

jasonyeung87
Helper V
Helper V

filtering out records that don't exist in another

Hi,

I want to import data from a table. The data I want to import would only be imported if the ID field exist in another table. For example, Below is Table A, which I want to import from:

Issue IDIssue Name
1aa
2bb
3cc
4dd
5ee
6ff
7gg

It will only import the record if the ID is in Table B below:

Issue IDAnswer Name
1pp
1oo
3ii
3uu
5yy
5tt
6rr

The end result would be:

Issue IDIssue Name
1aa
3cc
5ee
6ff

Records 2, 4 and 7 are excluded because they are not in Table B. I was wondering what is the best approach for doing this? 

Sincerely,

Jason

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello @jasonyeung87 ,

Please use inner join to solve your requirements. It will only take the data field which matches in both the tables.

Power query editor -> Merge queries -> select ID field as common --> The result is what you expected.

Thanks,

Karthik

View solution in original post

v-rzhou-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @jasonyeung87 

Please check whether you build many to one relationships between two tables, this issue may be caused by value changing in key column(relate with other columns.)

Here I couldn't reproduce your issue, but I will give you some advice and show you an other way by M code.

1. Merge as KarthikKV by inner is a good way, and I think you don't need to expand other table, you will use merge to filter your Table A. 

1.png

Then you just need to remove Table B to get result you want.

2.png

2. Try to use M query to filter "Table A" by Issue ID list in "Table B".

M Code:

let
    Source = Table.FromRows(Json.Document(Binary.Decompress(Binary.FromText("Hca3DQAwDAOwXzRnST/G8JD+/wcRxIlmiAgYAx4MiZ1TzexaamH3Vit7jtrYe9XOvgf3Dw==", BinaryEncoding.Base64), Compression.Deflate)), let _t = ((type nullable text) meta [Serialized.Text = true]) in type table [#"Issue ID" = _t, #"Issue Name" = _t]),
    #"Changed Type" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(Source,{{"Issue ID", Int64.Type}, {"Issue Name", type text}}),   
    #"Filtered Rows" =
    let  list1 = List.Distinct(#"Table B"[Issue ID]) in
    Table.SelectRows(#"Changed Type",each List.Contains(list1,[Issue ID]))
    in
    #"Filtered Rows"

Just copy codes #"Filter Row" ... into your Advance Editor in Table A.

Result:

3.png

Best Regards,

Rico Zhou

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly. 

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
v-rzhou-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @jasonyeung87 

Please check whether you build many to one relationships between two tables, this issue may be caused by value changing in key column(relate with other columns.)

Here I couldn't reproduce your issue, but I will give you some advice and show you an other way by M code.

1. Merge as KarthikKV by inner is a good way, and I think you don't need to expand other table, you will use merge to filter your Table A. 

1.png

Then you just need to remove Table B to get result you want.

2.png

2. Try to use M query to filter "Table A" by Issue ID list in "Table B".

M Code:

let
    Source = Table.FromRows(Json.Document(Binary.Decompress(Binary.FromText("Hca3DQAwDAOwXzRnST/G8JD+/wcRxIlmiAgYAx4MiZ1TzexaamH3Vit7jtrYe9XOvgf3Dw==", BinaryEncoding.Base64), Compression.Deflate)), let _t = ((type nullable text) meta [Serialized.Text = true]) in type table [#"Issue ID" = _t, #"Issue Name" = _t]),
    #"Changed Type" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(Source,{{"Issue ID", Int64.Type}, {"Issue Name", type text}}),   
    #"Filtered Rows" =
    let  list1 = List.Distinct(#"Table B"[Issue ID]) in
    Table.SelectRows(#"Changed Type",each List.Contains(list1,[Issue ID]))
    in
    #"Filtered Rows"

Just copy codes #"Filter Row" ... into your Advance Editor in Table A.

Result:

3.png

Best Regards,

Rico Zhou

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly. 

Hi @v-rzhou-msft ,

Thanks for your tips. Yeah, I didn't need to expand the column of the second table if I only want filtering. I think what was causing the issue is that because the second table has multiple records with the same ID, it causes the error when it's expanded

Sincerely,

Jason

Ashish_Mathur
Super User
Super User

Hi,

Do you want to do this in the Query Editor or directly in your table visual?

Regards,
Ashish Mathur
http://www.ashishmathur.com
https://www.linkedin.com/in/excelenthusiasts/
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello @jasonyeung87 ,

Please use inner join to solve your requirements. It will only take the data field which matches in both the tables.

Power query editor -> Merge queries -> select ID field as common --> The result is what you expected.

Thanks,

Karthik

Hi @Anonymous ,

thanks for the info. I initially did this and it worked. But if I expanded the column I imported (e.g. picked 1 column of the second table to include), I get the error:

Column 'Issue ID' in Table '' contains a duplicate value '' and this is not allowed for columns on the one side of a many-to-one relationship or for columns that are used as the primary key of a table.

I probably can work with this if I don't expand the column.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello @jasonyeung87 ,

Not sure as I never dealed much with many to many relationships.

Let me know if you have solved it so that I can also understand.

Thanks,

Karthik

Hi @Anonymous ,

When I reviewed the record set closer, the Inner join actually does what I want (e.g.  to filter out the records). I realised I didn't have to expand the column, as this column doesn't appear when I exit Power Query editor. So the solution works for filtering.

If I need data from that table itself, I could use the data modeler instead.

Jason

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.