Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

theo
Helper III
Helper III

filter table based on dynamic table

Hi, Im looking for a way to filter table (TargetTable) based on the data (FilterTable) that I can modify.  So when I update outside of Power BI and then refresh it in PowerBi then the TargetTable is also updated. 

Currently, I am using summarizedcolumns to created the TargetTable

TargetTable = SUMMARIZECOLUMNS(MainTable[index],filter(MainTable,MainTable[GroupSum]=6&&

MainTable[group 1]>=1 && MainTable[group 1]<=3 &&
MainTable[group 2]>=0 && MainTable[group 2]<=1 &&
MainTable[group 3]<=2))

dynamic FilterTable should look like this

GroupSumGroup 1Group 2Group 3
 3 2

which I am thinking I could create this instead but both does not work properly when referred in the formula.

GroupSumMin_Group 1Min_Group 2Min_Group 3Max_Group 1Max_Group 2Max_Group 3

TargetTable = SUMMARIZECOLUMNS(MainTable[index],filter(MainTable,MainTable[GroupSum]=related(filterTable[GroupSum] ))

Will appreciate any suggestion.

Creating a measure is not an option though since when used, I have memory error (I have about 40 similar filters).

4 REPLIES 4
v-stephen-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @theo ,

When the data source is refreshed, the calculated table will also be refreshed, that is, a dynamic table.

1.png

From your description, you want to create a pivot table.

Here's a link about pivot table using dax, hope to help you:

https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Quick-Measures-Gallery/DAX-Unpivot/td-p/574832

Best Regards,

Stephen Tao

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

@v-stephen-msft  Actually my problem is getting the right formula to refer to a table which be updated every now and then.  I tried using relatedtable, but it only provide correct filter for the column that is directly has the relationship.

I dont see the pivoting will resolve it.

lbendlin
Super User
Super User

You cannot have dynamic tables outside of measures.  Do you mean "as dynamic as the dataset refresh" ?

By the way you can simplify your formula

TargetTable = SUMMARIZECOLUMNS(MainTable[index],
filter(MainTable,MainTable[GroupSum]=6&&
MainTable[group 1] IN {1,2,3} &&
MainTable[group 2] IN {0,1} &&
MainTable[group 3] IN {0,1,2}))

@lbendlin thanks for the suggested simplification.

Yes, the numbers to be in the filter are based on the supposed table that will be updated every now and then.  It will also be loaded, so everytime I udpate it, the resulting formula I expected to be updated as well.

I was able to use the relatedtable, but it only provide correct filter for the column that is directly has the relationship.  Is there any solution outside of measure?  Can you also share the possible measure solution, and will try it. thanks.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.