Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

jch
Employee
Employee

filter by visual only works if the visual contains multiple columns from different tables?

How come the List of Descriptions filter only works on the readin filter if I include a variable from the readin table? How do I configure the visual to filter down everything on the page listing only fields from List of Descriptions?

jch_1-1623845225720.png

In readintable, 

- concatenated 2 fields to create field UniqueKey.

- readintable[CSI Description] contains a comma delimited list of strings.

In Individual Descriptions

- created by reference from readintable.

- also concatenates the same 2 fields to create a UniqueKey.

- readintable[description] is exploded by it's comma delimiter into multiple rows to create individual rows in  Descriptions[Descriptions]

From the screenshot below, UniqueKey is the relationship between the 2 tables 

jch_0-1623844220129.png

Thanks in advance

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi, @jch 

In a one-to-many relationship, you can only filter the relationship by table like table2, but not vice versa.

vjaneygmsft_1-1624239451387.png

So you need to put the readintable field in the slicer, whether it is BBS or description.

vjaneygmsft_2-1624239664118.png

You also don't need to put two fields from different tables in the slicer, it will cause problems. If you want to filter the readintable data, just use its field directly.

vjaneygmsft_3-1624239816822.png

Hope you can understand what I said, If it doesn't solve your problem, Please feel free to ask me.

Best Regards

Janey Guo

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
v-janeyg-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi, @jch 

You seem to be using the uniquekey in the bbs table, which is only related to readintable. You need to change the field on the slicer to the uniquekey in the readintable table.

vjaneygmsft_1-1624005709003.png

vjaneygmsft_0-1624005380428.png

Best Regards

Janey Guo

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

@v-janeyg-msft I appreciate your feedback. I might be misinterpreting your solution. 

Below is a screenshot describing the results of adding the UniqueKey from the readin table to the Individual BBs filters:

1. The idea is to filter the visual for readin[List of BBs] by the visual for Individual BBs[List of BBs]
2. I added UniqueKey to the Individual BBs filter and it still does not filter the readin visual

jch_0-1624018729901.png

Much appreciated!

Hi, @jch 

In a one-to-many relationship, you can only filter the relationship by table like table2, but not vice versa.

vjaneygmsft_1-1624239451387.png

So you need to put the readintable field in the slicer, whether it is BBS or description.

vjaneygmsft_2-1624239664118.png

You also don't need to put two fields from different tables in the slicer, it will cause problems. If you want to filter the readintable data, just use its field directly.

vjaneygmsft_3-1624239816822.png

Hope you can understand what I said, If it doesn't solve your problem, Please feel free to ask me.

Best Regards

Janey Guo

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.