Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

ggartner

filled map

I am trying to create a Filled Map using Zip Code for the entire US based on Territories that are ranked.  I am only able to get a small part of the Northeast to map and then it tells me that there are "Too many values. Not showing all data. Filter data or choose another field."

I need to show data for all of the US.  Why will not let me use more than a handfull of Zip Codes.

5 REPLIES 5
CarolineA19
Regular Visitor

I am receiving an error when attempting to load zipcodes using the Filled Map. The error states:

Too many values

Too many 'Postal Code' values.  Not displaying all data. Filter data or choose another field

I receive this error when loading from a database or an Excel file.  The Excel file only has approximately 43,000 rows

meysun
Resolver IV
Resolver IV

How many zipcodes are you trying to plot? You mentioned more than a handful. USA has 40000+ zip codes . Are you trying with all 40K+?

Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

This has been a reoccuring complaint with the visualizations in Power BI. If you used another visualization like Tree Map, Pie, etc. you would also likely see that little yellow exclamation mark. To my knowledge, there is currently no work-a-round to this but I know it has been listed in Ideas and been a frequent complaint here so I would have to imagine it is being worked on.

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
The Definitive Guide to Power Query (M)

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

The expectation is that you would use data at a coarser granularity with drill down to finer levels of detail. Thus when mapping the country level, you should aggregate to states, and then to zoom in to see zip code level details, you can double click on a state and see the individual zip codes.

They really do need to open this up from the small set they allow now to a much broader set of values.  For Lats/Longs I had to trim my coordinates to a tenth of a decimal point and that helped out a good deal but obviously won't help with your zip codes at all.  Try to put some slicers on your page that people can filter down to a smaller subset of data for now - something like date or product - things like that to shrink the return set.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.