Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

blndspt
Frequent Visitor

fighting many to many with a bridge

Hey guys,

I'm relatively new to Power BI.  I've built embedding and done alot of modeling, I'm still just not that good with visuals yet.  I have a very simple set of 3 tables that include a many to many relationship with a one to many hanging off the end.  I've setup the bridge correctly, but when I try creating a simple matrix visual from beginning to end, that last one to many table causes the dreaded 'fix this'.   I sincerely apologize in advance, but can someone tell me why this doesn't work?

2019-11-07_13-20-33.png

As you can see, the psudo-hierarchy starts on the left with organizations.   There is a simple bridge to location2, in which case many orgs can have many locations and vice versa (hence the bridge and the many to many).  Now, I can make a simple matrix visual with the org name then the location name, and it works fine.  However, when I add the terminal name from the last table it no longer understands the relationship.  Shouldn't I be able to make a matrix visual with org name, then location name, then terminal name?

In general data modeling, this is not an uncommon scenario!  Does PowerBI only allow for traversal of 1 set of relationships when a bridge table is in the mix?

Thanks everyone.

Scott

3 REPLIES 3
d_gosbell
Super User
Super User

@blndspt wrote:

In general data modeling, this is not an uncommon scenario!  Does PowerBI only allow for traversal of 1 set of relationships when a bridge table is in the mix?

So the data engine can handle this ok, the issue here seems to be with the query generator in Power BI. The only work around I can see is to add a measure to the table visual.

If you create a simple count of terminals like the following and add it to your table visual it should "fix" this issue at the cost of having the extra count column.

Terminal Count = COUNTROWS(terminals2)

Weird.  This seems like the worlds most simple many to many relationship.  It would seem that most m2m table relationships would have another table hanging off of one end or the other.  Works as expected in SQL Server.  That's incredibly disappointing. 

If you hand write a DAX query against a model like this it works fine too. It looks to me like this is probably a bug in the way the table visual generates it's underlying query, the measure work around will just let you get something working now.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.