Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Ancar
Frequent Visitor

facebook data - reach, engagement etc.

Hi all,

I am working on analysing a bunch of Facebook pages, and relying on downloading each one of these 14 pages data to excel, copy+paste:ing and importing to Power BI is really not an option any longer. So I am trying to find a way to get more indepth information into Power BI. 

Today I manage to use the graph.facebook to get likes per page, and into a new query as well to sum it up for all pages. But when i look at developers.facebook.com there is in the same "insights" tab more information such as reach (page_impressions) and more: https://developers.facebook.com/docs/graph-api/reference/v2.4/insights 

But when i load it into Power BI (page --> insights) i only get Page_fans_country and page_storytellers_by_country and trying to get to the reach figure from there is beyond me. Is there anyone out there who has succeeded to get reach from facebook into power bi - that would be amazing! 😉 

Thanks a lot,

Kind regards,
Andreas

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-sihou-msft
Employee
Employee

@Ancar

As mentioned in that API document:

• A user access token with read_insights permission can retrieve metrics for all pages and domains owned by this user.
  • A page access token with read_insights permission can retrieve all metrics for that Page.

Otherwise, you can only get publicly available metrics (currently page_fans_country or page_storytellers_by_country).

Regards,

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
v-sihou-msft
Employee
Employee

@Ancar

As mentioned in that API document:

• A user access token with read_insights permission can retrieve metrics for all pages and domains owned by this user.
  • A page access token with read_insights permission can retrieve all metrics for that Page.

Otherwise, you can only get publicly available metrics (currently page_fans_country or page_storytellers_by_country).

Regards,

Perfect, thanks @v-sihou-msft

I will need to dig into how to apply a User Access Token to my Power BI Query - do you know if that's possible?

I looked around trying to find a way to add my Access token (app?) created in developer.facebook.com into power Bi so it realizes i gave permission - but I don't see anywhere where that is possible. Is there some code in the Power BI Advanced Editor? 

Looking around all i seem to find is to write C# or to connect to Azure in some way... to do it, but I am not a coder 🙂 nor a great database hacker: https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/documentation/powerbi-developer-walkthrough-push-data-get-token/

and https://www.codeproject.com/Tips/1042542/Connecting-to-Power-BI-REST-API-from-a-Service-i-e

If you have found a good way to give my Power BI (which uses my regular credentials for Facebook today) permission that would be more than appreciated 🙂

Thanks for all your time and help!

Kind regards,

Andreas

@Ancar

I think the "User Access Token with read permission" mentioned in the facebook API doc should mean the permission associated to your factbook account, not the Power BI account.

It means those information related to pages is only available for those facebook users, like Admintrator of public pages.

Regards,

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.