Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

AntoineCh
Helper I
Helper I

facebook connector questions

Hi all,

I'm currently working on a facebook dashboard. I'm pulling the following data using the page_id, and my questions regarding them:

1. "Insights" from the page
    • Lifetime likes from which you can derive likes from each day
    • Number of unique users "talking about the page" => what does that mean ? Shares ?
    1. Apparently you can't pull a page's insights with facebook graph API in v2.8. Therefore, i'm using v2.6. Any drawback I should be aware of ?
    2. Is it as I understand ; there are only 2 kpis with no page view count ?

2. Shares, comments and likes from the page, but also peoples' data when their profile are public

1. I can't find the shares accross the tables in the data I pulled
    2. I'm having trouble with that last item. I'm pretty sure it's possible, but i get all tables (books, feed, etc.) are empty and permissions throws an error (see attached):

"DataSource.Error: Facebook: (#100) Cannot request permissions of other users

Details:

DataSourceKind=Facebook

DataSourcePath=https://graph.facebook.com/

Detail=https://graph.facebook.com/v2.6/XXXXXXXXXXXX/permissions?limit=1000"

When i enter it in the browser, it looks like I need an access token (from google graph API ?). But I wouldn't know where to fit that token, there is no such parameter anywhere in my code.

3. Any other useful data I'm missing and that I can get legally on fb ?

Thanks for your help !

Antoine

Here's the mother query I use to pull data for 2.:

let

page_id = "XXXXXXXXXXXXXX",

get_from_facebook = get_from_facebook(page_id),

SampleOrNot = if SampleOrNot = false then get_from_facebook else Table.FirstN(get_from_facebook, SampleOrNot as number),

#"Expanded object_link" = Table.ExpandRecordColumn(SampleOrNot, "object_link", {"created_time", "message", "connections"}, {"post.timestamp", "post.message", "post.connections"}),

#"Added Index" = Table.AddIndexColumn(#"Expanded object_link", "post.id", 1, 1),

#"Changed Type" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(#"Added Index",{{"story", type text}, {"post.message", type text}, {"post.timestamp", type datetime}}),

#"Inserted Date" = Table.AddColumn(#"Changed Type", "post.date", each DateTime.Date([post.timestamp]), type date),

#"Inserted Time" = Table.AddColumn(#"Inserted Date", "post.time", each DateTime.Time([post.timestamp]), type time),

#"Removed Other Columns" = Table.SelectColumns(#"Inserted Time",{"story", "post.id", "post.timestamp", "post.date", "post.time", "post.message", "post.connections"})

in

#"Removed Other Columns"

Where SampleOrNot is a parameter = 3 and get_from_facebook is:

// to be added: type parameter, date parameter

let

from_facebook = (page_id as text) => Facebook.Graph("https://graph.facebook.com/v2.6/"

& page_id

& "/feed?limit=100")

in

from_facebook

customer data fb.JPG

2 REPLIES 2
v-ljerr-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @AntoineCh,

As the Facebook connector in Power BI Desktop relies on the Facebook Graph API, and it seems that most of your questions are related to the Facebook Graph API itself, I would suggest that you also post the questions on the Facebook forums for better assistance. Smiley Happy

Regards

Hi @v-ljerr-msft,

Not really, no. My questions are mostly on what you can do through the connector, and whether or not it's enough to do what I want to do. I've read some documentation on the api, but I'm wondering if I can reproduce the output through the connector.

Antoine

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors