Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

indyb
Helper III
Helper III

extend existing date range

Hi all, 

I am working on an existing dashboard which has a date table which i am unsure of how was created. 

I am trying to now extend the date range of this table but cannot seem to work out how to do this. The columns have Date, Year, Quarter, Month Num etc and also includes some calculated columns. 

image.png

Are you able to advise how this can be done? The current date range goes up to 31/03/2020 and I would like to extend it to 31/13/2025.

Many thanks in advance! 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi @indyb ,

Yes the data is auto updated in your case as it is coming from "Raised On" date.

You can try creating a calendar table in Power BI. Refer following link:

https://radacad.com/creating-calendar-table-in-power-bi-using-dax-functions

If this helps and resolves the issue, appreciate a Kudos and mark it as a Solution! 🙂

Thanks,

Pragati

Best Regards,

Pragati Jain

MVP logo

LinkedIn | Twitter | Blog YouTube 

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution! This will help others on the forum!

Appreciate your Kudos!!

Proud to be a Super User!!

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11
Pragati11
Super User
Super User

Hi @indyb ,

This looks like a Calendar date table created in Power BI. 

In Power BI as shown below:

datesnip.png

On the right go to your Date table, on the top it shows you the way this table is created. If it is a date table created using CALENDAR function, you can modify the date range as shown above. This function takes StartDate ansd EndDate as inputs.

You can modify them as required.

If this helps and resolves the issue, appreciate a Kudos and mark it as a Solution! 🙂

Thanks,

Pragati

Best Regards,

Pragati Jain

MVP logo

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution! This will help others on the forum!

Appreciate your Kudos!!

@Pragati11 it could be created in Power Query as well, and that's the reason I asked @indyb to check it first how it is created, Yes if it is created in DAX, you solution will work but we are not there yet, Just my feedback.

And it could be coming from the backed data source, you never know. 

Subscribe to the @PowerBIHowTo YT channel for an upcoming video on List and Record functions in Power Query!!

Learn Power BI and Fabric - subscribe to our YT channel - Click here: @PowerBIHowTo

If my solution proved useful, I'd be delighted to receive Kudos. When you put effort into asking a question, it's equally thoughtful to acknowledge and give Kudos to the individual who helped you solve the problem. It's a small gesture that shows appreciation and encouragement! ❤

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution. Proud to be a Super User! Appreciate your Kudos 🙂
Feel free to email me with any of your BI needs.

parry2k
Super User
Super User

@indyb open query edit and click on date table and then click on advanced editor, if you don't see this in query editor then click on table and see if there is a dax expression in formula bar and that will tell you us if it is created in PQ or in DAX and from there it will be easy to extend it.

Subscribe to the @PowerBIHowTo YT channel for an upcoming video on List and Record functions in Power Query!!

Learn Power BI and Fabric - subscribe to our YT channel - Click here: @PowerBIHowTo

If my solution proved useful, I'd be delighted to receive Kudos. When you put effort into asking a question, it's equally thoughtful to acknowledge and give Kudos to the individual who helped you solve the problem. It's a small gesture that shows appreciation and encouragement! ❤

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution. Proud to be a Super User! Appreciate your Kudos 🙂

Thanks @Pragati11 . I clicked on the advance editor and was able to get the code below : 

image.png

I can see there is MinDate2 = List.Min(IncidentRawData[Raised on] and the MaxDate2 below it. 

Does this mean that the date range auto populates when the data is refreshed and the "Raised On" date is extended? 

Could you also advise how it would be possible to recreate this table to allow me to use this for other dashboards I am building?

Hi @indyb ,

Yes the data is auto updated in your case as it is coming from "Raised On" date.

You can try creating a calendar table in Power BI. Refer following link:

https://radacad.com/creating-calendar-table-in-power-bi-using-dax-functions

Thanks,

Pragati

Best Regards,

Pragati Jain

MVP logo

Appreciate your Kudos!!

Thank you guys!

Thank you guys!

@Pragati11 I do not agree here with you to add a new calendar table using DAX is there is already one. Where do you think it is going to add value by adding a new calendar using DAX, especially if existing is already working and everything is developed on top of it? Just curious about your thought process.

HI @parry2k ,

That calendar date approach is for the other dashboards not this one as @indyb asked for.

Thanks,

Pragati

Best Regards,

Pragati Jain

MVP logo

Appreciate your Kudos!!

@Pragati11 maybe I missed that but I think the question was to extend the existing calendar table. 👍

@indyb Yes that seems correct, it will grow if Min and Max dates are calculated from another source. so it should work and auto extends as new data comes in.

I would 💖 Kudos 🙂 if my solution helped. 

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.