Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

ghdunn
Helper III
Helper III

expression.evaluate - import a snippet .not the whole script

Hi

I have a dataset transformation that is a stable/unchanging set of query steps except for a last conditional column step which is driven by a reasonably volatile set of business rules that I want to bring in from a 'rules engine'.

I have seen a number of posts that allow me to bring in a script from a text file using Expression.Evalutate:

let Source = Text.FromBinary(Web.Contents("Source.txt")),

Evaluate = Expression.Evaluate(Source, #shared) in Evaluate

However, I can only get that working if the external .txt file contains the entire power query script.  Instead, I would like to define the marjority of the script in Power BI itself, and then just call out to the file for the last step.

So ...my basic Power Query script might look like this:

let
    Source = Table.FromRows(Json.Document(Binary.Decompress(Binary.FromText("i45WCvVW0lEyUorVATKDHYFsY6XYWAA=", BinaryEncoding.Base64), Compression.Deflate)), let _t = ((type text) meta [Serialized.Text = true]) in type table [country = _t, Column2 = _t]),
    #"Changed Type" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(Source,{{"country", type text}, {"Column2", Int64.Type}})
in
    #"Changed Type"

But then I call out to my external file for the last row of the  script, using something like:

let Source2 = Text.FromBinary(Web.Contents("Source2.txt")),

Evaluate = Expression.Evaluate(Source2, #shared) in Evaluate

The Source2.txt file would simply contain the final Power Query step: 

#"Added Conditional Column" = Table.AddColumn(#"Changed Type", "Custom", each if [country] = "USA" then 1 else if [country] = "UK" then 2 else 3)

I have tried a number of combinations but just cant seem to get the syntax to work.

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS
v-chuncz-msft
Community Support
Community Support

@ghdunn,

Add Let expression and see code below.

let #"Added Conditional Column" = Table.AddColumn(#"Changed Type", "Custom", each if [country] = "USA" then 1 else if [country] = "UK" then 2 else 3) in #"Added Conditional Column"
Expression.Evaluate(Source2, Record.Combine({[#"Changed Type"=#"Changed Type"], #shared}))

Community Support Team _ Sam Zha
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

@ghdunn,

Change it as follows.

Result = Expression.Evaluate(
in
    Result

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
v-chuncz-msft
Community Support
Community Support

@ghdunn,

Add Let expression and see code below.

let #"Added Conditional Column" = Table.AddColumn(#"Changed Type", "Custom", each if [country] = "USA" then 1 else if [country] = "UK" then 2 else 3) in #"Added Conditional Column"
Expression.Evaluate(Source2, Record.Combine({[#"Changed Type"=#"Changed Type"], #shared}))

Sam,

Thanks for reply. Still can't get that to work though. Script now looks like this:

let
Source = Excel.Workbook(File.Contents("H:\MyBook.xlsx"), null, true),
Source2 = Text.FromBinary(File.Contents("H:\MyScript.txt")),
MyTable_Table = Source{[Item="MyTable",Kind="Table"]}[Data],
#"Changed Type" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(MyTable_Table,{{"Name", type text}, {"Address", type text}, {"Children", Int64.Type}}),

in ????

With this script I am getting 'Token Equal Expected'

what should the 'in' point to.

and text file looks like:

let #"Added Conditional Column" = Table.AddColumn(#"Changed Type", "Custom", each if [country] = "USA" then 1 else if [country] = "UK" then 2 else 3)

in #"Added Conditional Column"

Your support is very much appreciated

Gerald

@ghdunn,

Change it as follows.

Result = Expression.Evaluate(
in
    Result

Great job...thanks

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.