Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

lporterusc

excel Load button grey

When I select an Excel file to load it shows me the preview but the button to load the data remains greyed out so I cannot load the file.  Only the Cancel button is available.  I can load CSV files. Yes I'm a newbe.

9 REPLIES 9
Tonny021

I have fixed my problem by repairing office.

FinanceSam

Hi,

On the pop up that shows you all the available tables to upload, you need to click the checkbox 

See below, the little black tick in yellow box.

FinanceSam_0-1642093104361.png

JC01

I also have the same problem. Can someone please help me with this? I have already reinstalled the desktop app to no avail, same issue occured. 

peloton52

Only way i was able to get the Load button to appear, not grayed out, in Navigation, was to save my file as a .csv. Simply saving it as an Excel Workbook, not macro enabled, did not do the trick.

However, now when i load the .csv worksheet, the columns and headers appear in Data View, but no data at all.

Im using Excel 2013 and a brand new download of Power BI Desktop

I'm having the same problem after using the Power BI for a couple of weeks.

I'm attempting to load a very simple Excel table with no luck.

I have performed a clean reinstall to see if this corrects problem to no avail.

1a
2b
3c
4d
5e
6f
7g
8h
9i
Anonymous
Not applicable

When you open an excel file you are greeted with a tree of the file and a list of all of the tabs.  Are you using the checkbox to select which tabs to import?  Even if the file has only a single tab, you need to place a check mark in the box.

I appreciate your response.

It is exactly what I forgot to do.Smiley Happy 

Gary

v-shex-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @lporterusc,

I test to load excel file on Power BI desktop version: 2.38.4491.642 64-bit (August 2016) and it works well. I also test “direct query” and “live connection mode” then use get data to add a new excel file but failed(get an error but not appear the button grey issue).

Below are the screenshots of testing:

Normal load excel file.

Capture4.PNG

Live connection(get data function has been disabled):

Capture5.PNG

Direct query + get data from excel:

Capture6.PNG

Can you share some detail information to reproduce your issue?
For example:
The version of your power bi desktop, which type of excel file you try to load, the items you stored in excel file(e.g. map, table, image, chart,…)

Capture7.PNG

In addition, when I try to load a broken excel file, I get an error:

Capture8.PNG

Regards,
Xiaoxin Sheng

Community Support Team _ Xiaoxin
If this post helps, please consider accept as solution to help other members find it more quickly.
ankitpatira
Community Champion
Community Champion

@lporterusc Is your file saved as Excel workbook. If no then save it as Excel workbook and then there shouldn't be an issue loading it.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.