Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

hathouse

esri ArcGIS Map Power BI Desktop Permissions

We have used the ArcGIS map, one of the standard Power BI visuals in Desktop for years.  Today, the map stopped showing and instead we see a screen that reads "Access to this content requires permission.  Sign in below, or contact the content's owner for access".  No sign in was required before and there is no "sign in" options in the displayed visual.  What gives?!  This is for a production dashboard and now one of our visuals doesn't function.

hathouse_0-1630433398576.png

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Anonymous
Not applicable

There was a bug in the release that went out yesterday. Good news is that we have a fix for it, but it will take some time to deploy. If you need an ArcGIS Account for a temporary fix I can set you up with one.

Once you have an account

1. Edit the report

2. Add a new tab

3. Add the ArcGIS Visual

4. Sign in with the account

5. Save the report

6. Edit the report again

7. Delete the tab.

8. Save the report

You can email me with your contact info at astauffer(AT)esri.com and I will get you a temporary account.

View solution in original post

15 REPLIES 15
Dhuyvetter
Frequent Visitor

I'm still having this issue. Has the fix been rolled out at any version of Power BI yet?

Anonymous
Not applicable

Yes, there have been 2-3 releases since this post. Please clear your caches and restart Power BI if you are still seeing issues accessing the map.

https://doc.arcgis.com/en/power-bi/get-started/clear-browser-storage.htm#ESRI_SECTION1_E57387BD989D4...

Anonymous
Not applicable

What else could be causing the issue? I'm still recieveing the same issue on multiple computers and multiple versions (2.99 and 2.10). I've removed the CEF and Cache folders, restarted computer, and still see the "access to this content requires permissions. Sign in below, or contact the content's owner for access." message when trying to use ArcGIS Maps for Power BI.

Yep, I removed the CEF and Cache folders and am still getting the error as well.

I am still experiencing this issue in Jan 2024. Has there been any solution for this issue?

I too have removed the CEF and Cache folders, restarted computer, and still see the "access to this content requires permissions. Sign in below, or contact the content's owner for access." message when trying to use ArcGIS Maps for Power BI.

v-stephen-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @hathouse ,

Maybe you can try the below solutions

Best Regards,

Stephen Tao

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Anonymous
Not applicable

There was a bug in the release that went out yesterday. Good news is that we have a fix for it, but it will take some time to deploy. If you need an ArcGIS Account for a temporary fix I can set you up with one.

Once you have an account

1. Edit the report

2. Add a new tab

3. Add the ArcGIS Visual

4. Sign in with the account

5. Save the report

6. Edit the report again

7. Delete the tab.

8. Save the report

You can email me with your contact info at astauffer(AT)esri.com and I will get you a temporary account.

Anonymous
Not applicable

I'm getting the same issue. Is there an ETA on the fix?

Anonymous
Not applicable

Getting the same error.  Can I get a temporary account as well please.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Same issue occuring for me in production dashboard. No ability to sign in given, blocking production UI. 

Is this a licensing change from Esri? If this is no longer supported with Power BI Pro we will move to a different application. 

To overcome "Access permission" issue in my production reports, I edited the reports on the PBI service, created a new report tab, hid the tab, added a new ArcGIS viz, signed in with the temp acct @Anonymous helped me setup.  ... then my existing ArcGIS visuals on existing tabs rendered

ctucker93 - if you find a solid map replacement, please share the visualization details.  We have yet to find a viable alternative that doesn't require lat/lon for our 4000+ locations.  Thanks!

Jglenn
Frequent Visitor

We are experiencing the same issue. It was actually working for a bit after I did the latest update (Version: 2.96.1061.0 64-bit (August, 2021)), then stopped working when I went back to that report.2021-08-31_20h09_19.png

For anyone still suffering from this problem, I found that the problem persists only in old reports. If you are having this problem after clearing the caches, try creating a brand new report, you should find it works there.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors