Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Zindros

encrypted data

Hi all,

does anyone know if Desktop PowerBI can read and transform MS SQL encrypted data ?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-yuezhe-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @Zindros,

As per my test, when I encrypt a column of data for a SQL Server table and import the table to Power BI Desktop, Power BI Desktop cannot read and transform the data of encrypted column.  
Capture2222.PNG

Capture1111.PNG

As illustrated in the above figures, the Binary type of Data Model column is currently not supported in Power BI Desktop. Binary Data columns are removed from the resulting table in Power BI Desktop.

Thanks,
Lydia Zhang

Community Support Team _ Lydia Zhang
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
cdotzenrod
Advocate I
Advocate I

I've been told this is not possible currently but I don't like being told no.  I was very close to getting this to work when I used a generic ODBC connection from Power BI to my encrypted columns where the said columns are encrypted with a key stored in Azure Key Vault.  The driver worked and connected to my database but crapped out when tried to load the table that had encrypted columns.  This was my error:  

DataSource.Error: ODBC: ERROR [CE275] [Microsoft][ODBC Driver 17 for SQL Server][SQL Server]Error requesting access token, HTTP status 400, expected 200
ERROR [CE275] [Microsoft][ODBC Driver 17 for SQL Server][SQL Server]Error requesting access token, HTTP status 41360, expected 200
ERROR [CE258] [Microsoft][ODBC Driver 17 for SQL Server][SQL Server]Error retrieving key information for https://cjdsqlvault.vault.azure.net:443/keys/CMKAuto4/d881....

To me it seems like if I can get to the bottom of the key vault error this might actually work and Power BI will be able to load and decrypt data from encrypted columns.  

krati
Regular Visitor

I am facing same issue and Power BI desktop fails to decrypt the binary data  and says "Expression Error - Value was not specified". Below is the query in Advanced editor: TableName{[Column1=Binary.FromText(...)]}[Column2]

Please suggest what are the steps to follow for displaying encrypted columns data in Power BI desktop report. Also, what are the steps required to make those columns visible once published to app.powerbi.com

v-yuezhe-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @Zindros,

As per my test, when I encrypt a column of data for a SQL Server table and import the table to Power BI Desktop, Power BI Desktop cannot read and transform the data of encrypted column.  
Capture2222.PNG

Capture1111.PNG

As illustrated in the above figures, the Binary type of Data Model column is currently not supported in Power BI Desktop. Binary Data columns are removed from the resulting table in Power BI Desktop.

Thanks,
Lydia Zhang

Community Support Team _ Lydia Zhang
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Hi, I recently opened a ticket to Microsoft for this reason. The only way to read SQL Always encrypted columns is via odbc:

https://medium.com/microsoftazure/access-azure-sql-always-encrypted-data-in-power-bi-reports-using-m...

(And it works 🙂 )

Please also notice that RLS can't be applied in this context. I suggested to add this feature in this Idea:

https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Custom-Visuals-Ideas/RLS-when-loading-SQL-Always-Enrypted-columns/i... 

Elena

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.