Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

sshore
Helper I
Helper I

enabling forecasting

Hello,

I have enabled the Forecasting Function and have restarted Power BI. I even re-installed Power BI. 

I look at the options and Forecasting is enable but when I go to my line chart and go to the analytics pane there is no forecasting drop down. 

Please help! Is anyone else having this issue?

Thank you,

Savanah

13 REPLIES 13

@sshore I believe you only can use a date in the x-axis. Are you using something else?

Looking for more Power BI tips, tricks & tools? Check out PowerBI.tips the site I co-own with Mike Carlo. Also, if you are near SE WI? Join our PUG Milwaukee Brew City PUG

Hello,

I was using Month and I just switched to Order Date. Is is still not showing up on the Analytics Pane. I restarted my computer as well and it is still not showing up. 

@sshore Are you using a legend? I've read also that you can't use that.

Looking for more Power BI tips, tricks & tools? Check out PowerBI.tips the site I co-own with Mike Carlo. Also, if you are near SE WI? Join our PUG Milwaukee Brew City PUG

No. I only have the Axis(Date) and Value($) 

@sshore hmm. @Greg_Deckler mentioned in another post that there may be a limit to the number of data points... Otheriwse I would check to make sure that the date you are using is actually a "Date" data type...

Whoops!

@Seth_C_Bauer @Greg_Deckler When I go to change the Month to a Date Type all of the fields turn into an Error. When using the Order Date I made sure that this is the Date Type and I still do not see forecasting on the analytics pane. 

There are some considerations to keep in mind before using Forecasting feature. Please see the screenshot.Forecasting limitationsForecasting limitations

More on this can be checked out at HERE.

Thanks & Regards,
Bhavesh

Love the Self Service BI.
Please use the 'Mark as answer' link to mark a post that answers your question. If you find a reply helpful, please remember to give Kudos.

You can also use R for forecasting. Check out this BLOG

Thanks & Regards,
Bhavesh

Love the Self Service BI.
Please use the 'Mark as answer' link to mark a post that answers your question. If you find a reply helpful, please remember to give Kudos.

@BhaveshPatel I have changed the Date to a Date/Time Type and the Value to the Whole Number Type. I am still not able to see the forecasting function. My query has more than 1000 rows. Do you think that this has to many values to use the forecasting option?

@BhaveshPatel I found out what the problem was. 

I had our Order date in Months. When you have Months it does not allow for the forecasting option. When I choose year it does pop up. Unfortunetly I work for a Consumer Electronics Start Up so we do not have mass historical data. Do you know if the forecasting function will be enabled for Data grouped in Months?

Thank you for your help!

Hi @sshore,

Based on my test, we can add a forecast line when the X-axis displays Month values. You can place MonthNo which is number type in X-Axis instead of month names. See:

q4.PNG

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu

Community Support Team _ Qiuyun Yu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

@BhaveshPatel I have changed the Date to a Date/Time Type and the Value to the Whole Number Type. I am still not able to see the forecasting function. My query has more than 1000 rows. Do you think that this has to many values to use the forecasting option?

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.