Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

dw700d
Post Patron
Post Patron

downloading shared report into a seperate Power BI dashboard (more than one source)

Good day,

For the past year department “A” has been sending me data via excel spreadsheet. I would then import that data into power bi along with other data sets from different sources. Department "A" has decided they will no longer provide the data via excel. They will now share that data with me via power BI moving forward. How can I import that data set into my current dashboard which includes different data sources? Right now it seems like my only option is to use the analyze in excel option, which downloads the data directly into a pivot table in excel then I would have to build out the pivot table with over 20 different columns and upload that to my Power BI. There has to be a more efficient way than this. Does anyone have any suggestion?

3 REPLIES 3
Icey
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @dw700d ,

Just like what @AlexisOlson mentioned, please consider to use DirectQuery for Power BI datasets. With DirectQuery for Power BI datasets, you can use DirectQuery to connect to Power BI datasets and if you want, combine it with other DirectQuery and imported data.

Here are some documents for reference:

Using DirectQuery for datasets and Azure Analysis Services (preview) - Power BI | Microsoft Docs;

DirectQuery for Power BI datasets and Azure Analysis Services (preview) | Microsoft Power BI Blog | ...;

DirectQuery for Power BI dataset: How does it work? - RADACAD

Best Regards,

Icey

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Icey
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @dw700d ,

Can this meet your requirements?

Best Regards,

Icey

AlexisOlson
Super User
Super User

If I were in this position, I'd query the Power BI dataset they're using for whatever fields you need to be imported.

There's an example query like this in my post here: https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Service/How-can-I-set-up-a-scheduled-refresh-for-tables-that-are-DA...

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.