Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

TDouglassAFG
Frequent Visitor

downloading pbix from microsoft store

Hi,

Last time (a couple month ago), i downloaded our pbix from the service to desktop, I had not issues.  I went in today, as I need to make a modification), and it is forcing me to go to microsoft store. 

Our desktop versions are not from microsoft store.  Is this something that was changed and we are now forced to use the microsoft store version of the desktop? Or is there a way for me to modify something to allow it to work the way it use to?

Tina

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-robertq-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi, @TDouglassAFG 

From my point of view, I suggest you to download the Power BI Desktop from the Microsoft store. Because it can make sure you are always using the latest release of Power BI Desktop. You can not open the pbix files created with a higher version of the desktop if you have not updated your desktop version.

Here’s a link that explains the two methods of getting Desktop on your PC, you can take a look:

https://www.dataideology.com/power-bi-download-options-app-vs-msi/

Best Regards,

Community Support Team _Robert Qin

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
v-robertq-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi, @TDouglassAFG 

From my point of view, I suggest you to download the Power BI Desktop from the Microsoft store. Because it can make sure you are always using the latest release of Power BI Desktop. You can not open the pbix files created with a higher version of the desktop if you have not updated your desktop version.

Here’s a link that explains the two methods of getting Desktop on your PC, you can take a look:

https://www.dataideology.com/power-bi-download-options-app-vs-msi/

Best Regards,

Community Support Team _Robert Qin

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

amitchandak
Super User
Super User

@TDouglassAFG , Are on the latest release , Dec 2020. I think because of new changes on services , if is forcing you for the latest version.

If you facing this in Dec 2020, let us know.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.