Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

dot in date

Whenever I write a query involving some sort of date table data, I get 'Date'[Date].SOMETHING. I do know what 'Date'[Date] is, but what exactly is that DOT stuff? What does it signify? How is 'Date'[Date].[Date] different from 'Date'[Date].[Day] or 'Date'[Date].[Year] ??

2 REPLIES 2
v-yulgu-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @Anonymous,

Whenever I write a query involving some sort of date table data, I get 'Date'[Date].SOMETHING. I do know what 'Date'[Date] is, but what exactly is that DOT stuff?  

'Date'[Date].SOMETHING is aimed to fetch the day/month/year/quarter part from the date formatted field. For example, if we have one date value '7/1/2017'

'Date'[Date].[Day]=1

'Date'[Date].[Year]=2017

'Date'[Date].[Date]=7/1/2017

'Date'[Date]=7/1/2017

How is 'Date'[Date].[Date] different from 'Date'[Date].[Day] or 'Date'[Date].[Year] ??

From above example, we can see that 'Date'[Date].[Date] and 'Date'[Date] return the same result, but if you want to use DateAdd function for noncontinuous date, you have to use 'Date'[Date].[Date], because 'Date'[Date] will return blank. Please see below:

DataAdd date = DATEADD('Date'[Date],1,DAY)

DataAdd date.date = DATEADD('Date'[Date].[Date],1,DAY)

3.PNG

Best regards,
Yuliana Gu

Community Support Team _ Yuliana Gu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
Anonymous
Not applicable

The Dot indiciates how you want to format or extract from that data.

So 'Table'[Field].Date would get you the Date value out of the field (which might have a Date and Time value).

'Table'[Field].Day would get you the Day value out of a field (which might have a Date or Date and Time). 

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors