Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

sqlguru448
Helper III
Helper III

distinct count of active customers for each month

Hello Folks,
I am new to PowerBI & Dax, please bear with me for any silly question.

I am trying to calculate Distinct active customers for each month.

I have customer table with Customer key, join date key amd term date key. I have date dimension table too.

Customer Table
Customer key join date key Term date
1. 1/1/2017 5/31/2017
2. 3/1/2017 3/31/2017
3. 3/1/2017 5/31/2017

my monthly active customer count should look like

Month Count
Jan 1
Feb 1
March. 3. since all customers are active
April. 2. since 1 and 3 are active
May. 2 since 1 and 3 are active

Any help or guidance is greatly appreciated.

Update: Customer table has around 65 million records, above is just the sample.

Thank you.

3 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS
ChandeepChhabra
Impactful Individual
Impactful Individual

@sqlguru448 Hi

To get to the solution I did 2 things

1. Created 2 realtionships and
  2. Created 3 measures

Here is how the relationships are setup between - Customers Table and Cal Table

Relationships.PNG

Both Join Date and Term Date have been related to Date in the Cal Table. Since 2 date columns are related, Customer[Join Date] with Cal[Date] is currently active

Here are the 3 Measures

1. Cumulative Distinct Count Until this Month = TOTALYTD(DISTINCTCOUNT([Customer Key]),Cal[Date]) It will give you the distinct cumulative count of customers until the current month

2. Terminations Until Previous Month = TOTALYTD(CALCULATE(DISTINCTCOUNT(Customer[Customer Key]),USERELATIONSHIP(Cal[Date],Customer[Term Date]),DATEADD(Cal[Date],-1,MONTH)),Cal[Date]) It will give the cumulative count of people who left until last month

3. Customers Active =[Cumulative Distinct Count Until this Month]-[Terminations Until Previous Month] the difference of both these will give you the number of customers left over for the current month

Here is the snapshot of the result

Distinct Count of Customers.PNG

You can download the Excel PowerPivot File

View solution in original post

Ashish_Mathur
Super User
Super User

Hi,

You may refer to my solution here.

Hope this helps.

Untitled.png

Regards,
Ashish Mathur
http://www.ashishmathur.com
https://www.linkedin.com/in/excelenthusiasts/

Thank you @danextian @Ashish_Mathur and @ChandeepChhabra for your inputs which helped to arrive at my solution, I was able to do it by creating calculated Month table by using below dax and performance was also fine.

Month:=FILTER(

GROUPBY('d_date',d_date[Year_Month],d_date[Month_Abbr],d_date[Month_Number],"YM",MAXX(CURRENTGROUP(),VALUE(right('d_Date'[Year_Month],2))),"Start",Minx(CURRENTGROUP(),'d_date'[Calendar_Date]),"End_Date",MAXX(CURRENTGROUP(),'d_date'[Calendar_Date])

)

,AND('d_date'[Year_Month] >=201601 ,'d_date'[Year_Month]<=201712)

)   Order By 'd_date'[Year_Month]

and then I created calculated column to count active member by month by writing below dax

= CALCULATE(

DISTINCTCOUNT('customer'[Customer_Key]),

FILTER('Customer',

AND(Customer[JoinDate]<='Dates'[End_Date] , 

Customer[TermDate] >='Dates'[Start] )

) 

)

Thank you for your help

14 REPLIES 14
Ashish_Mathur
Super User
Super User

Hi,

You may refer to my solution here.

Hope this helps.

Untitled.png

Regards,
Ashish Mathur
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Ashish. 

May I know how did you manage to list "Customer Key" and "Date" (the range between the start date and the end date) under data table.  New to power bi. Apologies if that has to be self-understood. Thanks!

Hi,

I managed to create a range of dates from just the beginning and end date inputs using the M language of the Query Editor.  Please review the steps in the Query Editor to understand better.

Regards,
Ashish Mathur

Thank you for your response, Sorry if I haven't mentioned earlier. There are around 65 million records in Customer table and Cross join of Customer and Date will have performance issue.

65M certainly is too big of a data. I tried doing this in M by using your data repeated 22M times but the query stopped loading halfway through. I was using a 16g ram 64 bit i7 device with 3ghz clockspeed. Is it necessary to have all those rows?

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

"Tell me and I’ll forget; show me and I may remember; involve me and I’ll understand."
Need Power BI consultation, get in touch with me on LinkedIn or hire me on UpWork.
Learn with me on YouTube @DAXJutsu.

Thank you @danextian @Ashish_Mathur and @ChandeepChhabra for your inputs which helped to arrive at my solution, I was able to do it by creating calculated Month table by using below dax and performance was also fine.

Month:=FILTER(

GROUPBY('d_date',d_date[Year_Month],d_date[Month_Abbr],d_date[Month_Number],"YM",MAXX(CURRENTGROUP(),VALUE(right('d_Date'[Year_Month],2))),"Start",Minx(CURRENTGROUP(),'d_date'[Calendar_Date]),"End_Date",MAXX(CURRENTGROUP(),'d_date'[Calendar_Date])

)

,AND('d_date'[Year_Month] >=201601 ,'d_date'[Year_Month]<=201712)

)   Order By 'd_date'[Year_Month]

and then I created calculated column to count active member by month by writing below dax

= CALCULATE(

DISTINCTCOUNT('customer'[Customer_Key]),

FILTER('Customer',

AND(Customer[JoinDate]<='Dates'[End_Date] , 

Customer[TermDate] >='Dates'[Start] )

) 

)

Thank you for your help

Hi Ashsih,

Quick question, why would you make a separate month order table? How does it help ?

Hi,

To sort the Months in the visual by the order of the Calendar months.

Regards,
Ashish Mathur

I've been focusing  more on M than on DAX in the recent months as my most of my data are very unstructured.

It's nice to be learning different approaches to the same problem. 

"Tell me and I’ll forget; show me and I may remember; involve me and I’ll understand."
Need Power BI consultation, get in touch with me on LinkedIn or hire me on UpWork.
ChandeepChhabra
Impactful Individual
Impactful Individual

@sqlguru448 Hi

To get to the solution I did 2 things

1. Created 2 realtionships and
  2. Created 3 measures

Here is how the relationships are setup between - Customers Table and Cal Table

Relationships.PNG

Both Join Date and Term Date have been related to Date in the Cal Table. Since 2 date columns are related, Customer[Join Date] with Cal[Date] is currently active

Here are the 3 Measures

1. Cumulative Distinct Count Until this Month = TOTALYTD(DISTINCTCOUNT([Customer Key]),Cal[Date]) It will give you the distinct cumulative count of customers until the current month

2. Terminations Until Previous Month = TOTALYTD(CALCULATE(DISTINCTCOUNT(Customer[Customer Key]),USERELATIONSHIP(Cal[Date],Customer[Term Date]),DATEADD(Cal[Date],-1,MONTH)),Cal[Date]) It will give the cumulative count of people who left until last month

3. Customers Active =[Cumulative Distinct Count Until this Month]-[Terminations Until Previous Month] the difference of both these will give you the number of customers left over for the current month

Here is the snapshot of the result

Distinct Count of Customers.PNG

You can download the Excel PowerPivot File

danextian
Super User
Super User

I can think of doing it in both M and DAX but I also would like to know how it can be done in pure DAX.

Question: Do the join and key term dates always begin at start of month and end at month end?

The join and term date can be anything 1/5/2017 or 3/19/2017 etc

And so I've ended up doing it both in M and in DAX.

M:

let
    Source = Table.FromRows(Json.Document(Binary.Decompress(Binary.FromText("i45WMlTSUTLUN9Q3MjA0BzJN9Y2h7FidaCUjoIgxQtIYRdIYVRJJZywA", BinaryEncoding.Base64), Compression.Deflate)), let _t = ((type text) meta [Serialized.Text = true]) in type table [#"customer key" = _t, #"join date" = _t, #"key term date" = _t]),
    #"Changed Type" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(Source,{{"customer key", Int64.Type}, {"join date", type date}, {"key term date", type date}}),

/*generated a list of dates from join to key term dates, 
    not sure if there is a function to generate a list of months so I just divided the day difference between the two dates by 28,
    I also set the interval to 28 days  -#duration (28, 0, 0, 0),
    then converted each date in the list to end of month,
    which can cause duplicates so I used List.Distinct to remove possible duplicates */
    #"Added Custom" = Table.AddColumn(#"Changed Type", "List Of Dates", each List.Distinct(List.Transform(List.Dates( [join date], (Number.From([key term date] - [join date] ) + 1)/28, #duration(28, 0, 0, 0)), Date.EndOfMonth))),

#"Expanded List Of Dates" = Table.ExpandListColumn(#"Added Custom", "List Of Dates"),
    #"Changed Type1" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(#"Expanded List Of Dates",{{"List Of Dates", type date}}),

//removed dates that are beyond key term date
    #"Filtered Rows" = Table.SelectRows(#"Changed Type1", each ([List Of Dates] <= [key term date]))
in
    #"Filtered Rows"

DAX

DistinctCustomerCountTable = 
VAR CalendarTable =
    //create a calendar table
    CALENDAR (
        MIN ( 'Table'[join date ] ),
        MAX ( 'Table'[key term date] )
    )
VAR NotSummarized =
    //filter the table to Date Check = TRUE
    FILTER (
        ADDCOLUMNS (
            //crossjoin original table with CalendarTable
            CROSSJOIN (
                'Table',
                CalendarTable
            ),
            //add end of month of Date column from CalendarTable
            "End of Month", EOMONTH ( [Date], 0 ),
            //add a column to check whether the Date column form CalendarTable is within the range of join and key term dates
            "Date Check", [Date] >= 'Table'[join date ]
                && [Date] <= 'Table'[key term date]
        ),
        [Date Check] = TRUE ()
    )
RETURN
    //ommit extra dates and return just end of mohth and the columns from the original table
    SUMMARIZE (
        NotSummarized,
        'Table'[customer key],
        'Table'[join date ],
        'Table'[key term date],
        [End of Month]
    )

The two formulas  follow a very similar approach.  That is to generate a list of dates within the join and key term dates date range. Both initially generate a bunch of dates so I added a logic to get just one date per month.

Anyone out there who has a more elegant solution? I'd love to see yours. 🙂

--update--

changed  || to &&

Thank you for your response, Sorry I haven't mentioned earlier.

I have around 65 million records in the customer table and Cross join is not feasible for me to do as it will affect the performance.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.