Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

wilson_smyth
Post Patron
Post Patron

display Rank on a Card visualization

I have a measure that gives the rank of a store, based on its sales against other stores.

I want to just display two pieces of info, the currently selected stores rank & the total number of stores.

I can display the rank in a table with all stores showing, but if i try to do it in a card, or just selecting my single store, i get a rank of 1.

Is it even possible to display a specific rank on a card?

Currently the only thing i can think of is storing the rank in a calc column but this is just not dynamic enough.

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS
MFelix
Super User
Super User

Hi @wilson_smyth,

I don't know how you are calculating your ranking but I ussually use one specific column to rank the values that I need to filter/slice them and them I can use it to have my ranking.

I have created a simple table with Store and Sales then added two measures:

NORMAL_RANK = RANKX(
		ALLSELECTED(Sales[Store]);
		CALCULATE(
			SUM(Sales[Sales])
			 )
		    )

This first measure interacts with the slicers/filter I introduce in the report so it's dinamic and my rank will be influenced by taking out stores from my visual or adding them

OVERALL_RANK = RANKX(
		ALL(Sales[Store]);
		CALCULATE(
			SUM(Sales[Sales])
			 )
		    )

In this measure using the ALL function no matter how I have my data sliced it will give me the complete ranking of the store so you can use it in your cards see print below. However using this one if you select more than one value in your slicer in your cards it will give you the first value so be aware of that limitation.

Ranking.png

Regards,

MFelix

Regards

Miguel Félix

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Check out my blog: Power BI em Português

View solution in original post

Apologies, should have responded sooner. 
Yes, I found  a solution, its pretty much what @MFelix suggested.

I was trying to use one calcuation to do two things:

- show the rankof all stores

- show just the rank of the selected score on a card.

The problem was that if i got a calculation to show the list rank, it always displayed a value of 1 when placed on a card, and if i got the correct calculation to show the rank on a card, it wouldnt show the ranked list. so 2 calculations were created.

Store Ranking Table = RANKX(ALL('Table'[Store]), CALCULATE([Score]),,0,Dense)

Individual Store Rank = RANKX(ALL('Table'[Store]), CALCULATE([Score], ALLSELECTED('Table'[Store])),,0,Dense)

View solution in original post

14 REPLIES 14
v-yulgu-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @wilson_smyth,

Have you resolved your problem? Was @MFelix's suggestion helpful to your scenario? If yes, please kindly mark the corresponding reply as an answer so that some more people having similar concern can find the solution more easily. If you still have any question, please feel free to ask.

Best regards,
Yuliana Gu

Community Support Team _ Yuliana Gu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Apologies, should have responded sooner. 
Yes, I found  a solution, its pretty much what @MFelix suggested.

I was trying to use one calcuation to do two things:

- show the rankof all stores

- show just the rank of the selected score on a card.

The problem was that if i got a calculation to show the list rank, it always displayed a value of 1 when placed on a card, and if i got the correct calculation to show the rank on a card, it wouldnt show the ranked list. so 2 calculations were created.

Individual Store Rank = RANKX(ALL('Table'[Store]), CALCULATE([Score], ALLSELECTED('Table'[Store])),,0,Dense)

@wilson_smyth Hello, Are you able to solve this problem. I am having the same issue. My ranking is coming fine in table but in card its coming wrong. I tried these solutions:

but Individual Store Rank is giving 1 and 2 only in card. I have names and sales. i have ultiple sales for a name: So I am creating slicer for name and year and showing ranking on card. 

Hi @Vish24 ,

can you share some sample data and expected result?

If you are abble to send out a mockup file it would be very helpfull to guide you on the correct path.

Regards

Miguel Félix

Quick update - Although the solution worked if using a table and a card, if i try to use either rank measure as the circle size on a , map, they all come out as 1.

I think theres some filter context im not understanding, but would appreciate any advice.

Update 2 - got this sorted, had to add ALL(Location[Latitude), ALL(Location[Longitude]) to the calculate filter, so now it doesnt take lat and long into consideration when ranking.

Next step, try and make it so the top ranking have the loweest number (1,2,3), but the biggest circle!

MFelix
Super User
Super User

Hi @wilson_smyth,

I don't know how you are calculating your ranking but I ussually use one specific column to rank the values that I need to filter/slice them and them I can use it to have my ranking.

I have created a simple table with Store and Sales then added two measures:

NORMAL_RANK = RANKX(
		ALLSELECTED(Sales[Store]);
		CALCULATE(
			SUM(Sales[Sales])
			 )
		    )

This first measure interacts with the slicers/filter I introduce in the report so it's dinamic and my rank will be influenced by taking out stores from my visual or adding them

OVERALL_RANK = RANKX(
		ALL(Sales[Store]);
		CALCULATE(
			SUM(Sales[Sales])
			 )
		    )

In this measure using the ALL function no matter how I have my data sliced it will give me the complete ranking of the store so you can use it in your cards see print below. However using this one if you select more than one value in your slicer in your cards it will give you the first value so be aware of that limitation.

Ranking.png

Regards,

MFelix

Regards

Miguel Félix

Hi Mfelix,

Thanks in advance. Having issue with ranking ranking starting with 2 after adding row (region). i tried adding isinscope in the formula but ranking is still wrong. thanks

output:  ranking of market selected inside a card in nation and northeast 

example NY  rank 8 in nation  & in NE rank in 5

RANK =
    if(isinscope(data3[MARKET]),
     RANKX (
     ALLSELECTED(data3[MARKET]),[round_values], , ASC, Dense))

overall_rank = RANKX(
                    All(data3[MARKET]),[round_values], ,ASC, Dense)

my data:

MARKETSum of 7Days_Rolling_sale_Per_MarketREGION
Las Vegas0.3855WEST
Albuquerque0.3692WEST
Hawaii0.3565WEST
San Francisco0.3452WEST
San Diego0.3434WEST
Los Angeles0.3341WEST
LA North0.3305WEST
Southern California0.3268WEST
Long Island0.2753NORTHEAST
Orlando0.2701SOUTH
Salt Lake City0.2629WEST
Washington DC0.2627NORTHEAST
Sacramento0.2614WEST
New York0.2575NORTHEAST
Upstate NY0.2453NORTHEAST
New Jersey0.2407NORTHEAST
Miami0.239SOUTH
New England0.238NORTHEAST
Philadelphia0.2358NORTHEAST
Virginia0.2356NORTHEAST
Connecticut0.2329NORTHEAST
Jacksonville0.2176SOUTH
Tampa0.2132SOUTH
South Carolina0.2104NORTHEAST
North Carolina0.2069NORTHEAST
Central PA0.1933NORTHEAST

test1.pngtest2.png

Anonymous
Not applicable

thanks. 

RANKX(ALL(DimProvider),[ActualValue_CRM] )

the above dax formula works fine, but i need the order of the rank to be ASC.

[ActualValue_CRM] is a measure. 

Hi @Anonymous ,

The 4rd parameter of the RANKX is the order you just need to do your measure like this:

RANKX(ALL(DimProvider),[ActualValue_CRM],, ASC )

Regards

Miguel Félix

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks , The Rank start with 2, and i don't want to use allselected because i will use card visual, any solution?

much appreciated 

Hi  @Anonymous 

Can you please give a little bit more insight on the expected result.Can you please share a mockup data or sample of your PBIX file. You can use a onedrive, google drive, we transfer or similar link to upload your files.

If the information is sensitive please share it trough private message.

Regards

Miguel Félix

Anonymous
Not applicable

Can't share.

i have tried to set not blank in filter for values. but ranking still starting from 2. just for ASC 

Hi @Anonymous ,

If you don't use the ALLSELECTED or ALL syntax you won't be abble to show the specific value on card since there is no context to give you the correct resultl.

Another option can be using a countrows but once again I need some mockup data to help you better.

Are you abble to make a mockup of your data? Once again you can share it trough private messsage here on the forum.

Regards

Miguel Félix

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.