Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The ultimate Microsoft Fabric, Power BI, Azure AI & SQL learning event! Join us in Las Vegas from March 26-28, 2024. Use code MSCUST for a $100 discount. Register Now

mgirvin
Advocate I
Advocate I

disconnect PowerPivot from PowerQuery and still hold the data in the DataModel?

What if I prepare a PowerPivot-solution by retrieving external data and transforming it with PowerQuery. This solution is to be delivered to an external party not having access to the data source. Is there a possibility to disconnect PowerPivot from PowerQuery and still hold the data in the DataModel? Thanks for your thoughts.

3 REPLIES 3
v-yuta-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi mgirvin,

Are you using "import" or "direct query" when you connect to data source? If you are using import mode, after saving the PBIX file, the data model has also been saved which means you can view the data model without connect to data source.

Regards,

Jimmy Tao

Thank you Jimmy, actually I asked mgirvin to help me on this. I am working in Excel, so the question referred to PowerPivot in Excel and there I did not find a solution. Any help on this from your side? Thank you.

Hello Jimmy

Mgirvin has been so kind to post this here for me.

Actually I am working in Excel solely. The question came up in the context of Excel and not Power BI.

Do you have experience here as well?

Thank you, Giuseppe

Helpful resources

Announcements
March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Fabric Community Conference

Microsoft Fabric Community Conference

Join us at our first-ever Microsoft Fabric Community Conference, March 26-28, 2024 in Las Vegas with 100+ sessions by community experts and Microsoft engineering.

Fabric Partner Community

Microsoft Fabric Partner Community

Engage with the Fabric engineering team, hear of product updates, business opportunities, and resources in the Fabric Partner Community.