cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post Patron
Post Patron

direct query limitations

Hello I was wondering if someone could explain to me this DirectQuery Limitation.

"Time intellegence capabilities are not available in DirectQuery. For example, special treatment of date columns (year, quarter, month, day, and so on) are not supported in DirectQuery mode."

What does it mean by special treatment?

Thanks for your time.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Super User I
Super User I

@nleuck it means that the functionality associated with imported date data  is not present in the direct query method.

so essentially what it is saying is implied that the modelling of your data and transformations around dates should be done in the source system (ie. sql) 

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
Super User I
Super User I

@nleuck it means that the functionality associated with imported date data  is not present in the direct query method.

so essentially what it is saying is implied that the modelling of your data and transformations around dates should be done in the source system (ie. sql) 

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

View solution in original post

Thank you. I was misreading it as though certain time/intelligence columns that I create in SQL wouldn't be consumed via DirectQuery.

Helpful resources

Announcements
secondImage

Happy New Year from Power BI

This is a must watch for a message from Power BI!

December Update

Check it Out!

Click here to read more about the December 2020 Updates!

Community Blog

Check it Out!

Click here to read the latest blog and learn more about contributing to the Power BI blog!

Get Ready for Power BI Dev Camp

Get Ready for Power BI Dev Camp

Mark your calendars and join us for our next Power BI Dev Camp!.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors