Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

direct query card

I first built a cube in Power BI desktop and used a card to return a text example "Last Name, First Name Middle Name" it worked fine with the data imported as there was a First Value option.

However, when I built a cube and use a direct query the card option for First was no longer there, the only option was count and distinct count.  Is there a reason for this or did I do something wrong?

Is there a work around as now I'm using a table to extract the value do I need a measure instead help?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

@v-caliao-msft

Thank you that is not an option for now I'm trying to showcase this to our company so that we can move forward with Power BI.

I've got a work around, I'm using a table with style none, column hearders same color as the background, so It appears that works.

It's not as nice as a card but still it will work until Microsoft gets around to fixing it.

Thank you,

Antonio

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
v-caliao-msft
Employee
Employee

@antoniofallucca,

For a card visual, it will aggregate your column values automatically. For text value, the default aggregate function is FIRST.
Capture.PNG

If you want to show all values in your dataset, you could use table visual. 

Regards,

Charlie Liao

@v-caliao-msft

Please look at my example what am I doing wrong?

Capture.PNG

As you can see I don't have that option I believe that it is because I'm using direct query and I'm not importing the data.  We have a very powerful server and this is how our company wants us to do it.

Is there anything else you can think of?

Thanks,

Antonio

@antoniofallucca,

I have tested it on my local environment, we can reproduce this issue. It seems this is the default setting for multidimensional database by using directquery mode.

Regards,

Charlie Liao

@v-caliao-msft

So this is the default setting issue in SSAS, what setting do I change to correct the issue?

Thank you,

Antonio Fallucca

@antoniofallucca,

Based on my research, I am afraid there is no such an option to allow us to show first or last value in this mode.  To work around this issue, you could change directquery to import mode.

Thank you for your understanding.

Regards,

Charlie Liao

@v-caliao-msft

Thank you that is not an option for now I'm trying to showcase this to our company so that we can move forward with Power BI.

I've got a work around, I'm using a table with style none, column hearders same color as the background, so It appears that works.

It's not as nice as a card but still it will work until Microsoft gets around to fixing it.

Thank you,

Antonio

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.