Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Fred_el_BI
Regular Visitor

direct queries column column format in SQL

Hello,

I use the SQL Azure to diplay my data (which are a list of salaries) in my PowerBI desktop. 

When using direct queries you cannot change the format of the columns in PowerBI. I would like to change the fomat of a table in SQL so it is shown as a whole number in PowerBI. Because only with whole numbers can we display data such as salaries in a table (otherwise it does a count).

So I need to change the data type in my SQL table. 

What data type should I use? I have tried int, float, money etc. many sql expression for data type. But I cannot display the data as a whole number in PowerBI. If someone out there has a solution I would be very grateful.

Thank you,

Anyone knows how to do that.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-ljerr-msft
Employee
Employee

@Fred_el_BI

When using direct queries you cannot change the format of the columns in PowerBI. I would like to change the fomat of a table in SQL so it is shown as a whole number in PowerBI.

In direct query mode, we should be able to change the format of the columns in Modeling tab in Power BI Desktop. Steps below is for your reference.

1. Select a column you want to change the format in Fields tab.

f2.PNG

2. Select Modeling tab and change the format.

modeling.PNG

Regards

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
v-ljerr-msft
Employee
Employee

@Fred_el_BI

When using direct queries you cannot change the format of the columns in PowerBI. I would like to change the fomat of a table in SQL so it is shown as a whole number in PowerBI.

In direct query mode, we should be able to change the format of the columns in Modeling tab in Power BI Desktop. Steps below is for your reference.

1. Select a column you want to change the format in Fields tab.

f2.PNG

2. Select Modeling tab and change the format.

modeling.PNG

Regards

Hello Jerry Li,

Arg yes, I see the Modeling, works very well. 

Thanks a lot for taking the time to provide a very well documented and precise answer. Very much appreciated.

Best,

Fred

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.