Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

drcohen

direct access from advanced query editor to a chosen slicer value

Hi all,

I have a limited list of predefined values.
I'm trying to bind this list into a slicer, and to directly access the chosen value in the advanced query editor.

I tried the following approaches so far:

1. defining a table 'Options', which contain the different possibilities.
Adding a slicer on top of it, and setting a measure which is defined by SELECTEDVALUE
however, I didn't find a way to access the measure value from the advanced query editor.

iilustration 1

2. defining a parameter, and using the syntax "&Text.From(<parameter_name>)&" inside the advanced query editor.
However, I coudln't bind the parameter to the chosen value from the slicer.

iilustartion 2

Do you have any suggestions on how to solve this?

Thanks,
Dror

3 REPLIES 3
v-piga-msft
Resident Rockstar
Resident Rockstar

Hi @drcohen,

From your information, it seems that you want to have access to the measure value from the query parameter. I'm afraid that we may not achieve the Selectvalue in the measure in Current value field currently.

What do you want to do? We may try another way to achieve your requirement.

Best  Regards,

Cherry

Community Support Team _ Cherry Gao
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

hi @v-piga-msft, thank you for your reply.

The data is based on kusto queries. The amount of records which isreturned is higher than allowed (can reach to billions). For this reason I would like to add filters to my query. 

For simplicity, let's say that the schema contains a string column, named 'type'. My query will be defined as follows:

kustoTable | where timestamp >= ago(7d) | where type == chosenType

Hoewever, since there are many types, and their value may vary, I want to enable the user to modify "chosenType" parameter, which is defined in the Advanced query editor. For example, I tried to use a slicer for this purpose.

Is it possible to achive this? I hope that my explanation was clear.

Thanks,

Dror

Hi @drcohen,

From your information, it seems that you get data with the connector of Azure Data Explorer(Beta).

Based on this limit, Kusto's default limits (500,000 rows or 64MB, as described in the Query Limits section). 

You could refer to here, I think that we could use set the parameter in your query steps, but I don't know if your query support the option like IN function in T-SQL, if not, you may use query like this: 

Table.SelectRows(#"Added Custom", each [Custom] = P1&"d")

Best  Regards,

Cherry

Community Support Team _ Cherry Gao
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.