Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

ad_nan
Regular Visitor

dimension in calculated measure

Hi,

Can we use dimension in calculated measures?

Also while creating a cal. measure i got an error : 

A single value for column 'dimension_name' in table 'table_name' cannot be determined.
This can happen when a measure formula refers to a column that contains many values without specifying an aggregation such as min, max, count, or sum to get a single result.

Can anyone help?

Thanks,

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

According to the error that you are getting and that you are doing this in a measure, then you need to use an aggregator like:

Measure = if(MAX('table'[dim_name]) = "dim1",((if(MAX('table'[dim_name]) = "dim2",'table'[measure]))/(if(MAX('table'[dim_name]) = "dim3",'table'[measure])))/12,5)

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
Mastering Power BI 2nd Edition

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
Ivric
Frequent Visitor

I'm trying to do some calcualtion by creating a new Measure in a dimension named Programs on power bi desktop

if 'Programs'[StartDate] is blank then pick 'Programs'[AltDate] else pick 'Programs'[StartDate] 

but in the measure i created under Programs I could access the date columns in my DAX.

I'm connecting power bi live to ssas tabular cube.

Thanks,

Ivric
Frequent Visitor

I'm trying to do some calcualtion by creating a new Measure in a dimension named Programs on power bi desktop

if 'Programs'[StartDate] is blank then pick 'Programs'[AltDate] else pick 'Programs'[StartDate] 

but in the measure i created under Programs I could access the date columns in my DAX.

I'm connecting power bi live to ssas tabular cube.

Thanks,

Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

Yes you can but you have to follow DAX syntax. Can you post your formula and sample data and what you are trying to accomplish?

Latest book!:

@Greg_Deckler

Thanks for quick response.

I am trying to implement something similar to this:

if('table'[dim_name] = "dim1",((if('table'[dim_name] = "dim2",'table'[measure]))/(if('table'[dim_name] = "dim3",'table'[measure])))/12,5)

'/' does not work here. 

Thanks.

Hi @ad_nan,

Have you tried the measure provided by @Greg_Deckler above? Does it work in your scenario? If it works, could you accept it as solution to close this thread?

If you still have any question on this issue, feel free to post here. Smiley Happy

Regards

According to the error that you are getting and that you are doing this in a measure, then you need to use an aggregator like:

Measure = if(MAX('table'[dim_name]) = "dim1",((if(MAX('table'[dim_name]) = "dim2",'table'[measure]))/(if(MAX('table'[dim_name]) = "dim3",'table'[measure])))/12,5)

Latest book!:

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.