Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

jackdan
Regular Visitor

difference between date rows

Screenshot Report PowerBI.jpg

I try to calculate the difference between row 1 and 2, 2 and 3, ....  I have created an index column but it's not possible to work with.  The field incidentid comes from a table (ActionLog) with several incident id and I have selected one..  Who can help ?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi @jackdan,

By my tests with the calculated column formula of adetogni, everything works as expected.

Please check if you have installed the latest version of Power BI Desktop firstly.

In addition, is the fields in the table visual come from the same table (ActionLog)?

You could have a reference of my test file to check if I have reproduced your scenario.

Best  Regards,

Cherry

Community Support Team _ Cherry Gao
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

13 REPLIES 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

I want to find the calculate duration time by looking at the robot_action on the basis of robot_session (complete-start). However, I  couldn't do it.

The yield is as follows.

as_ıs_1.png

My aim that in Power BI:

to_be.png

You can use this data_sheet:

idrobot_userrobot_idrobot_actionrobot_sessionaction_valuerobot_devicestatusdate
14448xxx1start11577975085 EKDW10S4M04897test02-01-20
14447xxx1Complete11577975085 EKDW10S4M04897init02-01-20
14564xxx19Complete191578010500 EKDW10S4M04897finished03-01-20
14562xxx19Data saved191578010500OMR_Daily-BUD-3.01.2020.xlsxEKDW10S4M04897running03-01-20
14563xxx19Mail sent191578010500 EKDW10S4M04897running03-01-20
14561xxx19start191578010500 EKDW10S4M04897init03-01-20

Please help !

Hi @Anonymous ,

You may download my PBIX file from here.
Hope this helps.

Regards,

Marcus

Dortmund - Germany
If I answered your question, please mark my post as solution, this will also help others.
Please give Kudos for support.

Did I answer your question?
Please mark my post as solution, this will also help others.
Please give Kudos for support.

Marcus Wegener works as Full Stack Power BI Engineer at BI or DIE.
His mission is clear: "Get the most out of data, with Power BI."
twitter - LinkedIn - YouTube - website - podcast

Anonymous
Not applicable

Let me know if I get it correctly.

All of these rows corresponds to the same Incident. You want to calculate Time of row where rankline = 2 minus time where rankline=1?
Is this correct?

And I guess you want it to have it as a calculated column...

Yes. It's exact.  Also for the next ranklines : R3-R2, R4-R3, ... I work in Direct Query.    

Anonymous
Not applicable

The only way to do it is by using EARLIER. Or by defining a var.

On top of my head and without actually trying it live (replace YOURTABLENAME with the actual table name)

1) Create a calculated column

2) in the formula type

TimeDifference=
VAR  PreviousIncident = YOURTABLENAME[IncidentId]
VAR PreviousRank = YOURTABLENAME[RankId]-1

RETURN
   YOURTABLENAME[TimeCommentAdded] -
   SUMX(
         FILTER(
            YOURTABLENAME, YOURTABLENAME[IncidentId]=PreviousIncidentId && YOURTABLENAME[RankId]=PreviousRank)
,YOURTABLENAME[TimeCommentAdded])

The idea is that the function will run on each row. On a certain row will lookup the value of the incident and rank MINUS 1 of that row, then the return will calcualte the current time and then the SUMX will find a value of the same incidentId and rank and subtract the value.

You can achieve the same result with the EARLIER but it far more easier to understand with the variables .

Test it, shoudl work

If I type ActionLog[IncidentId] Power Bi doesn't recognize.  I receive "Measure 4 = actionlog[incidentid]" with a red underline.

Anonymous
Not applicable

on the VAR line?

Yes.

Hi @jackdan,

By my tests with the calculated column formula of adetogni, everything works as expected.

Please check if you have installed the latest version of Power BI Desktop firstly.

In addition, is the fields in the table visual come from the same table (ActionLog)?

You could have a reference of my test file to check if I have reproduced your scenario.

Best  Regards,

Cherry

Community Support Team _ Cherry Gao
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

I agree with you.  It works but only if we work in import mode not in direct query.  The index column isn't authorized in direct query. My question is : how to do in direct query ? 

Anonymous
Not applicable

Looks like EARLIER (and probably the same operation done through variables) is not optimized / available in direct query https://docs.microsoft.com/it-it/sql/analysis-services/tabular-models/dax-formula-compatibility-in-d...
It does make sense as on a function like that you have to rely, on each row, on another row which might not yet have been loaded - in general in dq you don't know the entire dataset, but only the rows for the specific visual, so any filter applied will make data "partial" therefore will not make sense what you are doing.
I suggest therefore to either switch to import or do the same operation in sql before the load.

Thanks for your suggestion.  I would try going through a SQL Query.

Anonymous
Not applicable

That shouldn't happen.

Make sure syntax is correct

Measurename =
VAR  varname = calculation

RETURN 
new calculation using the varname

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.