Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

pstanek
Post Patron
Post Patron

desktop third object

Výstřižek.PNG

Hi  . I know that power bi desktop has three modes.

But I can only see the first, the third, but not one in the middle.

It is becuase of direct query, or  I haven´t activated it.

From your advices I see it is similar to query editor.

So I m in mess when you advise in power bi  and think It is query editor.

Can you describe difference between the first and the second mode?

Where can I find the second, if I can´t see it

The third I know are relations

I see onlyVýstřižek.PNG

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-qiuyu-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @pstanek,

In Power BI Desktop, Data View helps us inspect, explore, and understand data in Power BI Desktop model. It's different from how we view tables, columns, and data in Query Editor. With Data View, we're looking at data after it has been loaded into the model. While use Query Editor, we can connect to one or many data sources, shape and transform the data to meet our needs, then load that model into Power BI Desktop. For more information, please refer to this article: Query overview in Power BI Desktop.

In your scenario, as you connect to SQL Server in DirectQuery mode which there is no data import to Power BI Desktop, so it's expected that the Data View doesn't display.

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu

Community Support Team _ Qiuyun Yu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
v-qiuyu-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @pstanek,

In Power BI Desktop, Data View helps us inspect, explore, and understand data in Power BI Desktop model. It's different from how we view tables, columns, and data in Query Editor. With Data View, we're looking at data after it has been loaded into the model. While use Query Editor, we can connect to one or many data sources, shape and transform the data to meet our needs, then load that model into Power BI Desktop. For more information, please refer to this article: Query overview in Power BI Desktop.

In your scenario, as you connect to SQL Server in DirectQuery mode which there is no data import to Power BI Desktop, so it's expected that the Data View doesn't display.

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu

Community Support Team _ Qiuyun Yu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
BhaveshPatel
Community Champion
Community Champion

Your PowerBI is connected in Direct Query mode to your source data. In that case, You can not view the second("DataView")tab on the left. 

The first tab is called "Report view" where you can drag and drop fields on the canvas to see the results of your data model(Slicing and Dicing happens here in Graphical way)

The second tab is called Dataview, Where you can add calculated columns and change the setting of the data(For Example, Data Types, aggregation Behaviour) etc.

The third tab is Data model view, Where you can create hierarchies, edit relationships and see the data model.

Thanks & Regards,
Bhavesh

Love the Self Service BI.
Please use the 'Mark as answer' link to mark a post that answers your question. If you find a reply helpful, please remember to give Kudos.

Dataview is similar to query  editor. Dataview use DAx, Query editor m language- if I am correct.

sometimes i need to use use function like vlookup, but I can´t find in reportview.

I need to make operations, that most of you  describe in Dataview for direct query, That is the reason why I need to find precise difference between dataview  mode a and query editor , that can be  found hereVýstřižek.PNG

Yes. Dataview is similar to Query Editor but it is not a query editor and  it uses DAX for creating calculated columns and measures. Query Editor is different than Dataview. It is primarily used to extract, transform and load the data. 

Thanks & Regards,
Bhavesh

Love the Self Service BI.
Please use the 'Mark as answer' link to mark a post that answers your question. If you find a reply helpful, please remember to give Kudos.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.