Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Angel
Resolver III
Resolver III

default value for parameters

Hi, everyone

I have a report that connects to ODATA Feed using one parameter for the ODATA URL. For example, for sales the source is defined as: "Url Base ODATA & Sales".

I would like to know if there is one way to assign a default value for the parameter.

Thanks,

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi, @v-yuezhe-msft

Finally, I have solved the issue. I'm trying to explain it.

The key point is that I need to append up to 15 purchase tables in Power BI desktop. Every table comes from a different ODATA Url. Every URL is a parameter. 

The problem was that not all URL ODATA are always used. So, I need to introduce a value in order to create empty queries.

The first thing I tried was typing word 'NOT' in URL not used. So, I can create emtpy queries depending on this condition.  That was the resason because I ask a question. I wanted NOT value by default, and only change ODATA that are going to be used.

However, I couldn't refresh when I try to refresh dataset in Power BI Service using On-premise data gateaway because there was an invalid Data Source.

How did I solve that?. For queries that are not going to used URL Odata, I introduce the same URL ODATA that parameter 1. And works in Power bi desktop and Service... Something like that... If Parameter Url 4 = Parameter URL 1 then CreateEmtpyTable and so on for every query.

It works!!!!!..

Anyway, thanks for your help....

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
v-yuezhe-msft
Employee
Employee

@Angel,

You can create a parameter in Query Editor and set default value. There is an example for your reference.
1.PNG2.PNG3.PNG

Regards,
Lydia

Community Support Team _ Lydia Zhang
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Thanks, @v-yuezhe-msft

The problem is I can't use a list of values for parameters, because it depends on ODATA Feed URL.

I have a Power BI desktop file with 2 parameters: ODATA Feed for Company 1, ODATA Feed for Company 2.

Sometimes, ODATA Feed Company 2 is not used. So, I want to introduce one defaulte value (i.e. NOTUSED)..

Now, I have two questions:

- Do you know if I can introduce a default value in the way I have mentioned above?.

- ¿Do you know If i can have some trouble with refresh in Power BI Service when ODATA 2 is not used?.

Thanks in advance,

@Angel,

I am not very clear about your requirement. If you doesn't have possible values for the parameter, how do you determine the default value?

Regards,
Lydia

Community Support Team _ Lydia Zhang
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Hi, @v-yuezhe-msft

Finally, I have solved the issue. I'm trying to explain it.

The key point is that I need to append up to 15 purchase tables in Power BI desktop. Every table comes from a different ODATA Url. Every URL is a parameter. 

The problem was that not all URL ODATA are always used. So, I need to introduce a value in order to create empty queries.

The first thing I tried was typing word 'NOT' in URL not used. So, I can create emtpy queries depending on this condition.  That was the resason because I ask a question. I wanted NOT value by default, and only change ODATA that are going to be used.

However, I couldn't refresh when I try to refresh dataset in Power BI Service using On-premise data gateaway because there was an invalid Data Source.

How did I solve that?. For queries that are not going to used URL Odata, I introduce the same URL ODATA that parameter 1. And works in Power bi desktop and Service... Something like that... If Parameter Url 4 = Parameter URL 1 then CreateEmtpyTable and so on for every query.

It works!!!!!..

Anyway, thanks for your help....

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.