Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

default data colours in a visualisation with NaN value

Data colours can be linked to a value.

The values can become NaN under certain conditions.

The default data colour when NaN currently maps directly on to the existing user value range (min, centre, max).

NaN is however out of scope of the range.

It would be very useful if the user could also provide a colour and/or some other settings for NaN.

As it is, the user now sees (on my visual) the maximum value colour for NaN. This is not correct and veyr misleading.

Complex work arounds may exist, but there are diminishing options given the current way in which computed columns, measures in context and visualisation control parameters are set up.

9 REPLIES 9
v-piga-msft
Resident Rockstar
Resident Rockstar

Hi @Anonymous,

I'm not sure if the feature Color formatting by field value will meet your requirement, you could have a try with it.

Best Regards,

Cherry

Community Support Team _ Cherry Gao
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks @v-piga-msftCherry. I just checked this out.  I was hopeful but

- with a table

- there is no option to indicate "NaN", only "blank"

- with a Scatter plot

-there is no equivalent "conditional format" design element 

- the nearest design element is "Data Colors"

- I cannot use some sort of compromise "Legend" as in my case these also cannot use a measure as the value

Hi @Anonymous,

Have you solved your problem?

If you have solved, please always accept the replies making sense as solution to your question so that people who may have the same question can get the solution directly.

If you still need help, please feel free to ask.

Best  Regards,

Cherry

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Cherry.

I'd like to close it but I can't ... the proposed solution does not fully cover the case I was dealing with. I'm using a scatter plot, the proposal dealt with a table visualisation. Scatter plots do not have advanced conditional colour logic for blanks. 

OK to be fair, the original post did not anticipate all combinations of visualisations and all the peculiar mathematical outcomes and also did not specify scatter plot. 

To make more progress, a test data table Table1 is given below:

row      A          B          CC_A divided by B        CC_ISNUMBER CC_ISBLANK     CC_ISERROR

1          1          1          1          True     FALSE   FALSE

2          0          1          0          True     FALSE   FALSE

3          1          0          Infinity  True     FALSE   TRUE

4          1                     Infinity  True     FALSE   TRUE

5                     0                     False     TRUE    FALSE

6          0          0          NaN     True     FALSE   TRUE

I would say it would be best if both PBI and DAX are further developed thus:

A) ensure that ALL visualisations can address EACH of the distinct outcomes given in col <CC_A divided by B> in rows {3,4,5,6} in the SAME conditional colour logic

AND/OR

B) a new DAX function is provided to cover each of the distinct outcomes given in col <CC_A divided by B> in rows {3,4,5,6}

make sense ?

Anonymous
Not applicable

Table1.PNG

Table1   synthetic test data set

Anonymous
Not applicable

It's an aside, but maybe there is some interest in :

row4> 1/BLANK == Infinity.   This implies BLANK is treated as a zero

row5> BLANK/0 == BLANK.   Should the result be NaN to be consistent with row4 and row6 ? 

Hi @Anonymous,

What about creating a calculated column to replace the NAN value with the blank value?

Then you could use the color formatting with table visual. This maybe a workaround.

Best  Regards,

Cherry

Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

You should post this to the Ideas forum.

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
The Definitive Guide to Power Query (M)

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...
Anonymous
Not applicable

OK thanks. I thought this probably was the best forum (Desktop/Help?) but will also try to find "Ideas".

That was help in itself of course 🙂

As an aside, there seem to be multiple ways these days of submitting what I would call :

- problem reports  (PR)

- change requests  (CR)

- help requests       (HR)

and now seemingly multiple registration processes across MS, PowerBI and GitHub. Bit confusing and surely leads to duplications all over the place.

It is course another matter entirely but I hope it can all be brought together at some stage soon.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.