Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Anonymous
Not applicable

decimals displaying incorrectly when applying RLS roles

A previously existing report that has worked properly for months is no longer displaying decimal data correctly when viewing as role for 5 of the 7 roles that are defined in the report. The other two roles work as expected. This report employs RLS with DirectQuery and is getting data from an on prem SQL Sever DB via Enterprise Gateway. The same behavior is exhibited in the service. It is only the visualizations that reference a certain database view that are affected. When not applying the role, these visualization perform as expected.

Here is what the table looks like before applying the role:

1before1.png

After applying the role you can see that the decimal fields blow up:

1after1.png

I expereinced this once before and was able to overcome it by changing the decimal format from Auto to an explicit number of places, but this is not the case this time. An analysis of the data for the roles that work versus those that do not, did not reveal any notable differences in the values found in these fields. I have burned several hours trying to overcome this and am out of ideas. Help!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Anonymous
Not applicable

The problem is a bug that seems to have a relationship to DirectQuery, row level security, page filters, and data volume. There is a page level filter being applied that constrains the results to records from the current month when the following logic returns "TRUE"

My Filter = MONTH('Date[Transaction Date]) = MONTH(TODAY()) && YEAR('Date[Transaction Date]) = YEAR(TODAY())

The above was created as a field that was added to the Page Filters and constrained the results to records returning "True". When this filter was removed the problem went away but there was no other way to achieve the required data set without this filter. Through trial error I eventually discovered that also adding the filter field to the table itself fixed the problem. I was then able to squeeze the width of the column to be so narrow that it was not noticable when placed at the far right of the table.

I hope this fix to this obscure problem benefits someone some day. I expended a great deal of time figuring this out. Let me know if you have encountered this too.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

The problem is a bug that seems to have a relationship to DirectQuery, row level security, page filters, and data volume. There is a page level filter being applied that constrains the results to records from the current month when the following logic returns "TRUE"

My Filter = MONTH('Date[Transaction Date]) = MONTH(TODAY()) && YEAR('Date[Transaction Date]) = YEAR(TODAY())

The above was created as a field that was added to the Page Filters and constrained the results to records returning "True". When this filter was removed the problem went away but there was no other way to achieve the required data set without this filter. Through trial error I eventually discovered that also adding the filter field to the table itself fixed the problem. I was then able to squeeze the width of the column to be so narrow that it was not noticable when placed at the far right of the table.

I hope this fix to this obscure problem benefits someone some day. I expended a great deal of time figuring this out. Let me know if you have encountered this too.

TristanKuesters
Resolver I
Resolver I

I don't know the issue, but instead of change the decimal format, you can perhaps use the round-function to get the useless decimalplaces killed? 🙂

https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ee634402.aspx

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for that suggestion but if you can see my screenshots you'll see that this isn't a rounding issue. The numbers completely change.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.