Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Anonymous
Not applicable

debugging DAX expressions

Hi

I have created two DAX quick meassures, one for YoY% change and one for MoM% change. the former returns a value all right, the later does not. the problematic meassure is below (didn't change anything, straight out of the quick meassure).

How can I do a "walkthrough" the meassure and see what it tries to calculate and why it does not return any values? Something like the "evaluate formual" functionality in EXCEL.

pbi.jpg

Licenses MoM% =
IF(
ISFILTERED('O365LicenseReport'[OrderCreationDate]),
ERROR("Time intelligence quick measures can only be grouped or filtered by the Power BI-provided date hierarchy or primary date column."),
VAR __PREV_MONTH =
CALCULATE(
SUM('O365LicenseReport'[Licenses]),
DATEADD('O365LicenseReport'[OrderCreationDate].[Date], -1, MONTH)
)
RETURN
DIVIDE(SUM('O365LicenseReport'[Licenses]) - __PREV_MONTH, __PREV_MONTH)
)

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Anonymous
Not applicable

@v-jiascu-msft wrote:

Hi @Anonymous,

The MoM% needs a month context. We can't see any such context from the snapshot. Can you share a sample of your data?

Best Regards,

Dale

you are right. once I've drilled down to a monthly level I started seeing numbers. however I would have expected that even in that "single point"chart, it would have returned the current vs last_month delta.

anyways, thanks

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
v-jiascu-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @Anonymous,

The MoM% needs a month context. We can't see any such context from the snapshot. Can you share a sample of your data?

Best Regards,

Dale

Community Support Team _ Dale
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
Anonymous
Not applicable

@v-jiascu-msft wrote:

Hi @Anonymous,

Best Regards,

Dale

you are right. once I've drilled down to a monthly level I started seeing numbers. however I would have expected that even in that "single point"chart, it would have returned the current vs last_month delta.

anyways, thanks

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous For that I recommend you try DAX Studio, is a free software that evaluates DAX expressions

http://daxstudio.org/

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.