Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

BachFel
Helper II
Helper II

datedif Function, only for working days (mon-Fri)

Hello,

follwing problem.

I want to create a DAX formula which shows the difference from a specific date to today.

Tage_seit_erster_Objektbegung = if(KontElemente[Datum der Besichtigung]<>BLANK();TODAY()-KontElemente[Datum der Besichtigung].[Date];BLANK())

Is it possible to count only the working days (monday-Friday).

Thanks in advance

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Did you use a disconnected table?

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

"Tell me and I’ll forget; show me and I may remember; involve me and I’ll understand."
Need Power BI consultation, get in touch with me on LinkedIn or hire me on UpWork.
Learn with me on YouTube @DAXJutsu or follow my page on Facebook @DAXJutsuPBI.

View solution in original post

17 REPLIES 17
danextian
Super User
Super User

Hi @BachFel,

I would follow the following approach. 

First, I would create a disconnected calendar table ( a table that has no relationship with your Fact table) either in DAX or in M which contains all the dates that my fact table has. The calendar table would indicate 1 if a day is a weekday and 0 if otherwise. Here's my DAX formula:

Calendar (Disconnected) =
VAR START_DATE_ =
    DATE ( 2018, 3, 1 )
VAR END_DATE_ =
    DATE ( 2018, 4, 20 )
VAR DATES_ =
    CALENDAR ( START_DATE_, END_DATE_ )
RETURN
    ADDCOLUMNS (
        DATES_,
        "Name of Day", FORMAT ( [Date], "ddd" ),
        "Is Weekday?", IF (
            FORMAT ( [Date], "ddd" ) = "Sat"
                || FORMAT ( [Date], "ddd" ) = "Sun",
        )
    )

You may edit the START_DATE_ and END_DATE_ variables above as desired.

In my fact table, I would create a calculated column that sums the value in Is Weekday? column fromt the disconnected calendar table filtered by a specific date till today. Here's my DAX formula: 

Workday Difference =
    CALCULATE (
        SUM ( 'Calendar (Disconnected)'[Is Weekday?] ),
        DATESBETWEEN ( 'Calendar (Disconnected)'[Date], 'Fact'[Date], TODAY () )
    )

Notice that added -1 after the latest parenthesis. This is  because the sum that is being returned is the sum from start to end dates and not the difference between the two.

"Tell me and I’ll forget; show me and I may remember; involve me and I’ll understand."
Need Power BI consultation, get in touch with me on LinkedIn or hire me on UpWork.

Hi @danextian,

i created a calender table where weekdays have a 1 and sat/ sun has a 0. This column in is the table called:

Datumstabelle[IsWorkingDay]

then I added your second formula. But the result is wrong.

Unbenannt.JPG

I´m not sure about: DATESBETWEEN (Datumstabelle[Daten]. This is the column in my calender with all possible dates.

I´ve no clue where the mistake could be 

Did you use a disconnected table?

vanessafvg
Super User
Super User

@BachFel i would create a flag for the working days, ie a new column calls isworkingday = 1

and then use that in your calculation

If I took the time to answer your question and I came up with a solution, please mark my post as a solution and /or give kudos freely for the effort 🙂 Thank you!

can u please show an example?

@BachFel  do you have a date table?   

If I took the time to answer your question and I came up with a solution, please mark my post as a solution and /or give kudos freely for the effort 🙂 Thank you!

@BachFel there is possibly a better way to do this but what i would do is then create a  day of week column

Date =
ADDCOLUMNS (
CALENDAR(2015-01-01,2018-01-01),
"DateAsInteger", FORMAT ( [Date], "YYYYMMDD" ),
"Year", YEAR ( [Date] ),
"Day of Week", FORMAT([Date],"dddd"))

then create calculated column that is called IsWorkingDay ( you could do a an if statement too)

IsWorkingDay=
SWITCH (
TRUE (),
'Date'[Day of Week] = "Saturday", 0,
'Date'[Day of Week] = "Sunday", 0,
)

then you will need to add the isworkingday to your calculation, not sure what you are working out below, is there a reason you not using the datediff function?

Tage_seit_erster_Objektbegung = if(KontElemente[Datum der Besichtigung]<>BLANK();TODAY()-KontElemente[Datum der Besichtigung].[Date];BLANK())

Thank u so far!

There is no reason for not using the datediff function, I just didn´t know that it´s possible in DAX.

then you will need to add the isworkingday to your calculation, not sure what you are working out below, is there a reason you not using the datediff function?

I´m trying to show the difference in days between the [Datum der Besichtigung] and today (but only the weekdays). If [Datum der Besichtigung] is empty there should be no calculation. I´m not really sure how to install the isworkingday in the formula..

Would be grateful if u can help me out 

@BachFel not sure if i have captured what you have asked for but give it a go

assuming you have created a date table which is what is required and then created a relationship on that date to the date in your table

Tage_seit_erster_Objektbegung =
IF (
    ISBLANK ( datetable[date] ),
    BLANK (),
    IF ( isworkingday = 1DATEDIFF ( datetable[date], TODAY ()DAY )BLANK () )
)

@vanessafvg

Tage_seit_erster_Objektbegung =
IF (
    ISBLANK (KontElemente[Datum der Besichtigung]);
    BLANK ();
    IF (Datumstabelle[AlleDaten]) = 1; DATEDIFF (KontElemente[Datum der Besichtigung]; TODAY (); DAY ); BLANK () )

I´m not able to select the table Datumstabelle where the row AlleDaten is in...

I created a relationship as u mentioned but it won´t work.. I´m lost...

Unbenannt.JPG

Hi @BachFel

If you created  a relationship between the sum date table and your fact table, the formula will not work as the result gets filtered. Please delete the relationship and check on the  result again.

@BachFel

it looks like the relationship has been created, what error you getting?

That there are to less arguments for using the if-function.

This is caused by the reason that I´m not able to find the table Datumstabelle I guess..

@BachFel show me how you adjusted the formula?

Tage_seit_erster_Objektbegung =
IF (
    ISBLANK (KontElemente[Datum der Besichtigung]);
    BLANK ();
    IF(Datumstabelle[AlleDaten]) = 1; DATEDIFF (KontElemente[Datum der Besichtigung]; TODAY (); DAY ); BLANK () )

@BachFel i meant the formula i gave you?  have  you adjusted it to your model?  secondly you need to use the date table not the other table

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.