Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

josiahfaas
Frequent Visitor

date grouping for x-axis

I have a data set with a date field that I wish to use for the x-axis. The date field includes timestamp.

When I move this field to 'Axis' and include 'Number of Records' on 'Value' there is a bar for every value. I'd like to group these by either year, quarter, or month, depending on the required presentation.

Is creating a date table and adding a relationship to it the only way to accomplish this? Coming from Tableau where there are approx a dozen preset options that can be utilized, it just seems silly that there is not more built-in functionality here.

Am I missing something?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

No, you could also create some calculated fields for this, use FORMAT:

https://support.office.com/en-us/article/Custom-Date-and-Time-formats-for-the-FORMAT-Function-DAX-dc...

You can get quarter by creating a "m" FORMAT column and then using a nested IF statement or other means to separate out the values into quarters.

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
Mastering Power BI 2nd Edition

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

No, you could also create some calculated fields for this, use FORMAT:

https://support.office.com/en-us/article/Custom-Date-and-Time-formats-for-the-FORMAT-Function-DAX-dc...

You can get quarter by creating a "m" FORMAT column and then using a nested IF statement or other means to separate out the values into quarters.

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
Mastering Power BI 2nd Edition

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

Thanks smoupre!

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.