Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

urpalani
Helper II
Helper II

date format in slicer

Hi Folks,

I am using Slicer for Date and it is displaying in mm/dd/yyyy , Even though i change in formatting ,still in display it is showing as month as first ,

Anyone have any idea,

Capture.PNG

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-qiuyu-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @urpalani,

The date format display in the slicer visual decided by the local client Regional settings. Please make sure your region setting like below:

q6.PNG

q7.PNG

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu

Community Support Team _ Qiuyun Yu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

29 REPLIES 29
larrytam
Frequent Visitor

Hi all,

I am having the same issue here. Power Bi service forced all the date slicer in all of my report into the US format, 'MM/DD/YYYY'. Should not related to any OS nor broswer setting, all the date slicer was displaying in 'DD/MM/YYYY' format last week. 

Any update ?

Cheers,

I have the same issue since this weekend. I want the formats in DD-MM-YYYY

Hi @GroendusMV 

It seems like Power Bi fixed the issue overnight. Can you confirm its also been fixed on your end ?

Thanks

Yes it has also been fixed for my dashboards 🙂 

Allen1314
Frequent Visitor

it's only works on PowerBI Desktop, but when we check it on "https://app.powerbi.com", it's still show date with "MM/DD/YYYY" format, not "DD/MM/YYYY"
 desktop.png

app.png

siimloitme
Regular Visitor

I have tried evetything.  

Changed regional settings. Changed date formats. Changed locale. etc. 

I need my format to be on slicer DD/MM/YYYY  and calendar should start with monday. 

But it ise still MM/DD/YYYY and starts with Sunday. 

There is no logic.  

When I changed my date format in power bi the the same formar should be on all the visualizations. 

In table I have it in correct format but in slicer not.    WTF?

This can also be influenced by settings in the browser. I have a post here on my old blog site https://web.archive.org/web/20200111123636/http://geekswithblogs.net/darrengosbell/archive/2019/03/0... (posting a link via archive.org since the blog hoster appears to be down at the moment - one of the reasons I no longer blog there)

Thanks for this mate - solved my date issue in Chrome and it seems to be very similar to the issue everyone else in this thread is encountering

khregs
Advocate II
Advocate II

I remain annoyed that this date format cannot be changed in the slicer's formatting options. Many years before Power BI was even a thing, my company standardized on ISO date format (YYYY-MM-DD) for all reporting to resolve misinterpretations across our international business. Now, I create Power BI reports that are embedded in a corporate web application and am constantly asked why the slicers have the "wrong" date format. Report designers need to be able to control this sort of thing regardless of the user's regional localization settings at the OS or browser level.

v-qiuyu-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @urpalani,

The date format display in the slicer visual decided by the local client Regional settings. Please make sure your region setting like below:

q6.PNG

q7.PNG

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Did not work. I have set regional settings to India and not United Kingdon. Is that a problem?

Did not work. I have set regional settings to India and not United Kingdon. Is that a problem?

This solution is from 2017 and no clue to where this window is found in PBI desktop - canvas somewhere? Or Options Regional Settings (it doesn't work like this anymore)

Please update this info - thanks

Hi,

Thank you for the solution.

Could you please let me know, which country I need to select if I want date format in DD-MMM- YYYY in date slicers between option.

And will this settings remain the same in power Bi service as well.

Thank you,

S_patil

Thanks,

Shweta

Thank you  v-qiuyu-msft. It is perfectly worked fine.

@v-qiuyu-msft

I think the Date Slicer is not fully regional date settings aware.

- First day of week is not taken into account. 

- Short date format is not used (except in the list view) 

See the screenshot with my Power BI report and Windows settings. 

Capture.PNG

I did a few tests with changing settings, restarting Power BI and so on, but could not get a correct result. 

Cheers, Edgar Walther
ITsmart BI and Analytics consultant

Hi Qiuyun Yu,

Thanks ,It worked in Desktop,But Still in Services it is with mm/dd format.

Hi @urpalani,

When you view the report in Power BI service, the slicer date format s decided by browser language. Take the IE browser as example, you can add English(United Kingdom) language. See: https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/ie/forum/ie9-windows_7/how-to-change-language-internet-explorer-...

w1.PNG

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu

Hi @v-qiuyu-msft 

The approach of changing the language to English (United Kingdom) works fine on IE and Firefox, but does not work for Google Chrome.

Is their any alternative for this?

Thanks,

Suguna Menon.

@bidevsugmen wrote:

Hi @v-qiuyu-msft 

The approach of changing the language to English (United Kingdom) works fine on IE and Firefox, but does not work for Google Chrome.

Chrome has it's own internal regional settings for some reason so you have to change it independant of the OS settings

see http://geekswithblogs.net/darrengosbell/archive/2019/03/01/fixing-incorrect-date-formats-in-power-bi...

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.