Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

dataset publish

hi

can i publish the .pbix file with 1.5GB size . I have 3 datasets each of 500MB . I see in msdn that pro/free desktop version limitation is like 1GB per dataset . I was speaking about the file sie . will powerbi service allows it?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi @Anonymous

When you publish a PBIX file from Desktop, publish an Excel file to Power BI service, or upload an Excel or PBIX file through Get Data in the service, you won’t get a file size limit message unless the file is greater than 1 GB. Additionally, the data will continue to refresh as long as the data model size does not grow beyond 1 GB. After that, refreshing the dataset will give an error message letting you know your dataset is too large, and it will fail to refresh until you filter the data model back down under 1 GB.

Regards,

Cherie

Community Support Team _ Cherie Chen
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

think question is irrelevant and this cannot happen since one PBIX file can have one dataset right?

Hi @Anonymous

With composite models, you can connect to a variety of data sources when you use Power BI Desktop or the Power BI service. From this blog, you can see that you can now upload files to Power BI up to 1 GB in size. Below is the post for your reference.

https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Desktop/Size-limit-of-a-file-pbx/td-p/41371

Regards,

Cherie

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
Anonymous
Not applicable

hi @v-cherch-msft if my data inreases in near future evn if i have less data currently 980MB which is near to 1024. Will it fail when it reaches 1024MB of dataset?

Hi @Anonymous

When you publish a PBIX file from Desktop, publish an Excel file to Power BI service, or upload an Excel or PBIX file through Get Data in the service, you won’t get a file size limit message unless the file is greater than 1 GB. Additionally, the data will continue to refresh as long as the data model size does not grow beyond 1 GB. After that, refreshing the dataset will give an error message letting you know your dataset is too large, and it will fail to refresh until you filter the data model back down under 1 GB.

Regards,

Cherie

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.