Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Anonymous
Not applicable

dataset limitations

hi

i am very much new to power bi and i have few questions . I even went through few blogs but unable to understand these points cleearly .can anyone explain me in detail please :

i came to know that power bi pro has limitation of 1GB to publish to service . I mean dataset size should be less than 1GB?. Suppose if have 3 data sets with 500MB each is allowed?

and when i went through portal premium allows upto 10GB for file and 12GB refresh for data set is allowed ? How does this possible ?

1million rows limition apply even for data in azure datawarehouse or azure database?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Yes.. one PBIX file corresponds to one dataset. Within a dataset you can have any number of tables in it. 30M rows is considered pretty small dataset for Power BI. If you model it properly (for example check the link which v-lili6-msft shared above), you can get very good compression. I was once able to compress a 10M row dataset to 1.3MB (it had only 6-7 columns though). Lesser columns, lower distinct values in each columns, etc. help a lot with compression.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
AkhilAshok
Solution Sage
Solution Sage

Using Power BI Pro, you get a Storage of 10GB total (can include any number of files until this limit is reached). Each dataset can have a max of 1GB.

Using Premium, you get a dedicated capcity and the storage depending on the Capacity Node you purshase (eg. P1 gives you 25GB Storage). Each dataset published in premium can be up to a maximum 10GB size. After you publish the dataset, the size can grow with every refresh. Premium allows the data set size to grow up to 12GB after it is published to Premium capacity.

1million rows limit applies to all DirectQuery sources. For Data Import the limit is 2 Billion rows at the moment.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@AkhilAshok : Thanks for your response . In detail one more question .

So each power Bi will have only one data set for one PBIX right?. In dataset the tables can be n number ?. So i have tables with 30Million in SQL database .Since power bi pulls the data in compressed can you let me know by experience so much can be the dataset size?

Yes.. one PBIX file corresponds to one dataset. Within a dataset you can have any number of tables in it. 30M rows is considered pretty small dataset for Power BI. If you model it properly (for example check the link which v-lili6-msft shared above), you can get very good compression. I was once able to compress a 10M row dataset to 1.3MB (it had only 6-7 columns though). Lesser columns, lower distinct values in each columns, etc. help a lot with compression.

Given: Two Power BI Pro Users (No Premium tenant)

If User-A published a 700 meg data set to WorkSpace-X his total available overall memory (10 gig) is reduced by 700 meg.  Now if User-B also subscribes  to WorkSpace-X will his available 10 gig memory  also be reduced by 700 meg since the 700 meg data set is available to him there?

hi, @Anonymous

Considerations and Limitations

For all data sources used in the Power BI service, the following considerations and limitations apply. There are other limitations that apply to specific features, but the following list apply to the Power BI service overall:

• Dataset size limit - there is a 1 GB limit for each dataset in the Power BI service.
  • Row limit - the maximum number of rows in your dataset (when not using DirectQuery) is 2 billion, with three of those rows reserved (resulting in a usable maximum of 1,999,999,997 rows); the maximum number of rows when using DirectQuery is 1 million rows.
  • Column limit - the maximum number of columns allowed in a dataset, across all tables in the dataset, is 16,000 columns. This applies to the Power BI service and to datasets used in Power BI Desktop. Power BI uses an internal row number column per table included in the dataset, which means the maximum number of columns is 16,000 minus one for each table used in the dataset.

Power BI Premium supports uploads of Power BI Desktop (.pbix) files that are up to 10 GB in size. Once uploaded, a dataset can be refreshed to up to 12 GB in size.

This is the official document for you refer to:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/service-get-data

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/service-premium-large-datasets

and all the tables you had imported into pbix and the calculate column and calculate table are composed of a dataset.

so each power Bi will have only one data set for one PBIX. and one data set could be used to create multiple reports.

The factors affecting the size of the dataset including the number of tables and the size of each table.

also, here is a blog to optimize your data model for you refer to:

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/ten-techniques-optimising-memory-usage-microsoft-power-dejan-pajk

Best Regards,

Lin

Community Support Team _ Lin
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.