Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

dudeeee
Frequent Visitor

dataset does not update after updating local file(parquet)

I am using local file path as a data source for the power bi dashboard. A parquet file is created by spark in overwrite mode and I am renaming the .parquet file being generated to a same name just so every time I do not have to change the data source path.
But there is no change in the table or dashboard after updating the parquet file.
I have also tried  deleting the folder and then overwriting the parquet file but still no changes.
Is there any way I can reflect the changes in dashboard from recently updated parquet file without changing the path in data source settings every time?

5 REPLIES 5
Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

@dudeeee So is this import mode or ? If import mode, do you have a data gateway and scheduled refresh? In import mode just updating the parquet file isn't going to modify the dataset unless a refresh occurs.

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
Mastering Power BI 2nd Edition

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

@Greg_Deckler This is a import mode. I am importing parquet file from my local storage.I have also set up a data gateway and scheduled refresh(every 1 hour).
I have tried refreshing manually, still no any changes are seen.

@dudeeee That's super weird. Double-check that the query for the parquet file is not set to "Do not refresh". Right-click the query in Power Query Editor and check. If that isn't the case, maybe try renaming the file and do a refresh. Verify that it fails miserably. You could then maybe try putting an empty file in and try refresh, verify that no data is in the table. Etc.

Latest book!:

@Greg_Deckler  renaming the file fixed the issue but after several update the same issue repeats and I have to rename the file again to make it work.
Is there any workaround to this?

@dudeeee That's really, really bizarre. You could check the Issues forum here:

https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Issues/idb-p/Issues

And if it is not there, then you could post it.

If you have Pro account you could try to open a support ticket. If you have a Pro account it is free. Go to https://support.powerbi.com. Scroll down and click "CREATE SUPPORT TICKET".

Latest book!:

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.