Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Syndicate_Admin
Administrator
Administrator

database storage

Hello, Good morning/afternoon/evening.

I'm pretty new to this and find myself with the need to optimize a power bi report. Currently I do not have a connection to sql but I am with a connection to a google spreadsheet that although it brought me all the data ok and cleaned them in qwery is still very slow not only when loading the information but when using the power bi desktop. My query is as follows. Which connections are the most efficient? How much more efficient is it that the connection I have? if I have a large database but that is going to be static is necessary that it is in the cloud if or if? the performance of this also improves the performance of power bi desktop at the level of tool management?

Thanks a lot

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi,
I think for data load the most efficient is a SQL database, because there the query engine supports query folding and not all data has to be loaded and processed in Power BI Desktop.

Within Power BI Desktop, Import Mode is the fastest solution because Power BI can access its own memory the fastest.

Further performance in Power BI Desktop depends on the data model and DAX calculations.

Best regards
Marcus

Did I answer your question?
Please mark my post as solution, this will also help others.
Please give Kudos for support.

Marcus Wegener works as Full Stack Power BI Engineer at BI or DIE.
His mission is clear: "Get the most out of data, with Power BI."
twitter - LinkedIn - YouTube - website - podcast

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1

Hi,
I think for data load the most efficient is a SQL database, because there the query engine supports query folding and not all data has to be loaded and processed in Power BI Desktop.

Within Power BI Desktop, Import Mode is the fastest solution because Power BI can access its own memory the fastest.

Further performance in Power BI Desktop depends on the data model and DAX calculations.

Best regards
Marcus

Did I answer your question?
Please mark my post as solution, this will also help others.
Please give Kudos for support.

Marcus Wegener works as Full Stack Power BI Engineer at BI or DIE.
His mission is clear: "Get the most out of data, with Power BI."
twitter - LinkedIn - YouTube - website - podcast

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.