Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

mkatipal

data type change analysis services

Hi,

Am looking for ways to be able to change the data type of a Dimension attribute (like Resume number) from numerical to text data type. That will allow me to analyze some related facts.

I dont see any option as such.

Tool used- Power BI

Source - Analysis Services

12 REPLIES 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello,

I am also having this problem. I prepared a report with SSAS live connection and I need to change one column's data type to "Barcode", but I can not do it at this moment.

Did you get the proper solution?

Best regards.

Hi husss,

See the response from v-jiascu-msft on 12-20-2017 at 6:54. The rules could have changed by now, since that was 11 months and a lifetime ago, but I don't think Microsoft has made it possible to change the data type from a direct query just yet.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello,

Unfortunately did not change. Still in SSAS connection, data type can not be changed, that is why I converted my model to Direct Query mode which provides me this changing.

Thanks for your attention.

hello

i have the same problem

even if i round the field in ssas, it don't work.

have you found something

regards

arturo

v-jiascu-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @mkatipal,

Could you please mark the proper answer as solution or share the solution if it's convenient for you? That will be a big help to the others.

Best Regards!
Dale

Community Support Team _ Dale
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
wwhittenton
Helper II
Helper II

Hi @mkatipal,

To change the data type, you have a couple options. You can, in the Data view (left side button that looks like a table), click on the column you would like to change the data type, then select the Modeling tab and choose the "Data Type" dropdown in the formatting section.

Alternatively, go into the Query Mode by clicking on the Home tab at the top, then "edit queries". From there, the "transform" section will have a Data type dropdown you can select.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@mkatipal, In Power BI Desktop, click on 'Edit Queries' under the Home tab, then in the opened Query Editor window, you select the column by clicking on it, then change the 'Data Type' (under Home tab) to Text.

Is this applicable for Analysis Services as well?

I clicked Edit Queries option in the Home tab and I have only the Data Source Settings option available. Upon clicking that it goes to a window where i need to login to the model/data source

I couldn't say for sure about Analysis Services.

When you go into Edit Queries, have you selected the table and column you would like to change the data type of?

biCapture.JPG

This is all I see.

Once I click the Data source Settings, It opens a window to enter Server name and Database name for Analysis services DB's

Hi @mkatipal,

Your model is a live connection to SSAS that is also a powerful analysis tool. Since it's a live connection, you can't define or modify the model in the the Power BI side. You need to do it in the SSAS. Please refer to desktop-directquery-about/#live-connections.

>>>However, unlike DirectQuery, there is no sense in which a new model is being created; in other words, it's not possible to define new calculated columns, hierarchies, relationships, and so on. Instead you are simply connecting directly to the external SSAS model.

Best Regards,

Dale

Community Support Team _ Dale
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
mkatipal

Hi,

Am looking for ways to be able to change the data type of a Dimension attribute (like Resume number) from numerical to text data type. That will allow me to analyze some related facts.

I dont see any option as such.

Tool used- Power BI

Source - Analysis Services

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.