Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

erezb
Frequent Visitor

data sql source

Hello

Why Can't I see the table name in sql data source.

As you can see when connecting to excel Datasource I see full path.

In the sql connection I get only the DB name (tichnun).

It's helpful to know the table name when changes are needed in the table creation process inside Sql.

Ds.jpg 

Thanks

Erez

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
KHorseman
Community Champion
Community Champion

No, that's the name of the query, and the name of the resulting table in your Power BI data model. The name of the table is found in the navigation step of the query. The query steps are below the query name on the right hand side.

https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/documentation/powerbi-desktop-query-overview/

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
KHorseman
Community Champion
Community Champion

Individual queries may select from one or more tables. The data source/connection isn't a single table; it's the database. If you want to see navigation to a specific table you'll need to look at the query that uses it.

hi

again

I have entered the query editor. In the right side I see "name" ' but this field can be edited so it doesn't correspont neccessarily

to the table name from where the data was imported.

Have you meant this field or is there another location when I can see the table name?

Thanks again

Erez

KHorseman
Community Champion
Community Champion

No, that's the name of the query, and the name of the resulting table in your Power BI data model. The name of the table is found in the navigation step of the query. The query steps are below the query name on the right hand side.

https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/documentation/powerbi-desktop-query-overview/

Thank you ! 

Or to put it another way, a data source is just a connection to a database. It isn't the data itself. It's the phone line, not the conversation.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.