Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

jpturnersmith

data source error

Hi,

'm trying to construct a report which can display quantiative and qualitative informatino. The quantitative ifnormatino is stored in SQL server whcih I have managed to connect to. For the qualitative information, I would like to be able to create a table which I can then free type into.

1) Why am I unable to do this currently?

2) Wouldit be easier if I had a spearate spreadsheet whcih captured the qualitative information, and then connected this to the PowerBI workbook? If yes, how can I do this?

Thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-shex-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @jpturnersmith,

#1. Power bi is a report visualization tools and it not contains write back feature so you can't edit your source data on power bi side.

#2. In my opinion, I'd like to suggest you store these editable information to a sheet or other data source which allow you to edit, then use power bi to get data from this datasource. After these steps, you can use refresh button to get newest records form that source.

If you mean you want to get live data every time these information changes, current power bi not support. Maybe you can try to create virtual table in query editor based on query parameters so that you can changed on power bi side.

Deep Dive into Query Parameters and Power BI Templates

Creating Tables In Power BI/Power Query M Code Using #table()

Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

Community Support Team _ Xiaoxin
If this post helps, please consider accept as solution to help other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
v-shex-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @jpturnersmith,

#1. Power bi is a report visualization tools and it not contains write back feature so you can't edit your source data on power bi side.

#2. In my opinion, I'd like to suggest you store these editable information to a sheet or other data source which allow you to edit, then use power bi to get data from this datasource. After these steps, you can use refresh button to get newest records form that source.

If you mean you want to get live data every time these information changes, current power bi not support. Maybe you can try to create virtual table in query editor based on query parameters so that you can changed on power bi side.

Deep Dive into Query Parameters and Power BI Templates

Creating Tables In Power BI/Power Query M Code Using #table()

Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

Community Support Team _ Xiaoxin
If this post helps, please consider accept as solution to help other members find it more quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.