Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

data relationships

I have two different tabs on excel. One has employees and amount of hours worked per employee. Another has phases of a project and the amount of hours in each phase as well as the total number of hours. How can I relate the amount of hours each employee worked to the total number of hours worked on the project as a whole in Power BI?

12 REPLIES 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yes, as @NipponSahore mentioned please post the sample data set along with the expected result.

Thanks
Raj

NipponSahore
Resolver II
Resolver II

Can you please share what your data looks like. Maybe a sample might help

Anonymous
Not applicable

1.PNG2.PNG

Anonymous
Not applicable

We cannot derive that as the current table design has no relationship between these 2 tables and there is no way to find how many hrs Sam spend his effort in each phase AND who contributed for the 12 hrs meeting. The design needs to be changed, to have the relationship and break up to find the above details.

Thanks

Raj

Anonymous
Not applicable

Do you have a suggestion on how to do that?

Anonymous
Not applicable

the Employee Table should have the break up of hrs spent for the phase/ per employee. You should include a new column Phase in the Emp table. Then you can make the relationship between these 2 tables basaed on the "Phase" column .

Thanks
Raj

Anonymous
Not applicable

I just did that but my visualizations are still not interacting 

Anonymous
Not applicable

Can you please post your revised data model and also share what are trying in the visuals . Please share the PBIX file if you need more help.

Thanks
Raj

Anonymous
Not applicable

1.PNG

2.PNG

Anonymous
Not applicable

As per the Emp table,  Sam spent 66 hrs and Patrick spent 192 hrs for meeting, but the master table shows only 12 hrs spent for meeting. This is wrong, The Emp table needs the breakup on the hrs spent for each phase. 

For example, you may have multiple rows for Sam, like this:

Sam -6 hrs- meeting

Sam- 15 hrs -Design

Sam -45 hrs - Implement etc.

Thanks

Raj

Anonymous
Not applicable

Ok, I did that. But it still is not interacting.  I was hoping to click on a column in the Cost by Phase graph and have the visuals with the employee information adjust based on that

Anonymous
Not applicable

The "Actual Work" column in the first photo is the same amount of hours as the "Total Work" column in the second photo (with the employee data)

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.