Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Anonymous
Not applicable

data gateway- personal mode or not ?!!!

I have a dashboard in Power Bi service that retrieves the data from the Microsoft SQL Server database. The dashboard should be shared between the users in the organization and I need to make sure that the users will see the current data when they view the dashboard. 

Which one is the correct solution : 

1- To deploy an on-premises data gateway. Import the data by using the DirectQuery data Connectivity mode. 

OR

2- To deploy an on-premises data gateway (personal mode). Import the data by using the DirectQuery data Connectivity mode.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

If you want to share a reports then you can still do it but if you want to create a multi user work environment then you need the on-premises gateway. Also the personal gateway doesn-t work with direct query and live connections

Did I answer your question correctly? Mark my answer as a solution!

Proud to be a Datanaut!  

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

I have a dashboard in Power Bi service that retrieves the data from the Microsoft SQL Server database. The dashboard should be shared between the users in the organization and I need to make sure that the users will see the current data when they view the dashboard. 

Which one is the correct solution : 

1- To deploy an on-premises data gateway. Import the data by using the DirectQuery data Connectivity mode. 

OR

2- To deploy an on-premises data gateway (personal mode). Import the data by using the DirectQuery data Connectivity mode.

Correct answer is 

Details about Gateway: https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Service/On-Premise-Data-Gateway-or-Personal-Gateway/td-p/484468

LivioLanzo
Solution Sage
Solution Sage

Go with the first option if feasible

Proud to be a Datanaut!  

Anonymous
Not applicable

@LivioLanzo

yes, I agree with you. Because we want to share it with other users as well. right?

Hi  @Anonymous,

Agree with LivioLanzo.

If you have solved your problem, please accept the replies making sense as solution to your question so that people who may have the same question can get the solution directly.

If you still need help, please feel free to ask.

Best Regards,

Cherry

Community Support Team _ Cherry Gao
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

If you want to share a reports then you can still do it but if you want to create a multi user work environment then you need the on-premises gateway. Also the personal gateway doesn-t work with direct query and live connections

Proud to be a Datanaut!  

Anonymous
Not applicable

I saw the same thing on two different practice test.  I believe the answer is wrong, as it wants you to do a driect query on a personal gateway. 

ibarrau
Super User
Super User

Hi there. You are a little confused. First of all you have a way to connect to data. It can be imported data or direct query.

Import data has up to 8 schedule refreshes in a day and the best thing I think it has, is that you won't compromise the database performance because it will be a complete model in microsoft ram performance. It will only query sql server the times you schedule it.

Direct query let you have a 15 minutes cache where it will query your database every time looking for aswers. This approach is not recommended to do it in the production database. For this you should have a datawarehouse hosted in another machine.

After that you have the gateways. I would recommend on premise data gateway with import data. This runs a windows service. The personal data gateway is an app for one person and not a service. The best for production is NOT to use personal way.

Regards,

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Happy to help!

LaDataWeb Blog

Anonymous
Not applicable

Dear @ibarrau

Thank you for the answer. I completely understand all you just explained. 

I am aware that as far as it is possible we should use the import mode over the direct query, and other stuff. 

What made me ask this question is the mock exam I saw on the internet which I believe the answer for it is wrong. But I just wanted to make sure that I was right guessing that the Personal way is not the correct selection. 

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.