Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

andris_
Resolver I
Resolver I

data filtering

Hey everyone,

I have a seemingly simple problem, but I just can't deal with it. We have a table which contains service orders, with a lot of columns, with service order codes, types, names of the workers, posting dates, working times etc. We're trying to filter the rows where the work hours on a day for a worker is less than 1 hour. We can do it when we create a table ordered by the workers' name and with a simple daily date filter using a simple visual level filter(Work hours' value is greater than 1), but of course when we try to create a monthly summarized table, it's not the same, because if we set the same filter, it won't summarize the work hours a day, so it would filter every order which lasted less than an hour.

So, my question is that can we create a measure which summarizes the work hours per day, so we could use a visual level filter which checks whether the work hours a day is less than 1?

(I tried to create a measure with the Calculate and Sum functions, like

Workhour a day = CALCULATE(SUM(Table[WorkHours]);...)

but I didn't know what should the filters be in the Calculate function.)

Thanks in advance,

Andris Szepesy

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

hey @danrmcallister,

Thanks for your answer, I think it is good, just little bit complicated. Someone helped me in my other post, and it seems like that it's working, it's simpler a little bit than your code, take a look at it: https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Desktop/filtering-days/m-p/128948#M54799

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

You will need to supply some sample data and an example of what your expected output is.

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
Mastering Power BI 2nd Edition

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

@Greg_Deckler

kep.PNG

Here's some sample data. The output will be a table, which will show aggregate values, like aggregate work hours for every technician. But, we'd like to filter out from the aggregation those work hours (a day) where work hours<1. So, like in the sample, we wouldn't like to summarize for Name1 the work hours from 01.02 when he worked less than an hour.

So, I am assuming that 1,02 is one hour and 2 minutes or is that .02 of 60 minutes?

Also, on 1.6.17 for Name1 would you want to the 024 Order No but not the 023 Order No or would you would you count those both together because the total is over 1 hour.

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
Mastering Power BI 2nd Edition

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

1,02 hour is one hour and 0,02 of 60 minutes.

And, I'd like to count those together. If the aggregation of them were less than 1 hour, I wouldn't like to show them in my table.

It's a bit complicated, but we're doing it to filter those days per technician, where the technians were on holiday. Because if they are on holiday, they still can order something on their phone in the technician mobile system, and it generates a service order. And when we count his work time utilization, and it's wrong cause we divide the working hours by 8, and it will be low of course, so we'd like to ignore them. I posted about it a week ago, but we couldn't solve it (http://community.powerbi.com/t5/Desktop/date-holiday-issue/m-p/127507#M54145), so we figured it out that if technicians are on holiday, they usually do maximum of 3 or 4 service orders, and these working hours are always lower than 1 hour. (if they work, they always work more than 1 hour of course) So, that's why we'd like to filter those days.

This might be overkill, but give this a shot:

Daily Hours per Worker Not Holiday = if(
	Calculate(
    Sum(Summary[Working Time (Hours)]),
      Filter(Summary,Summary[Technician] = Earlier( Summary[Technician] )
         ),
         Filter(Summary,Summary[Posting Date].[Date] = Earlier(Summary[Posting Date].[Date])
             )) > 1,
			 	Calculate(
    				Sum(Summary[Working Time (Hours)]),
     					Filter(Summary,Summary[Technician] = Earlier( Summary[Technician] )
       					  ),
       					  Filter(Summary,Summary[Posting Date].[Date] = Earlier(Summary[Posting Date].[Date])
            				 )),
)

Essentially it's saying "If the sum of worked hours for this technician on this date >1, give this value, else give 0".  If you look at the numbers in your full table where a worker has submitted multiple orders, the sum will repeat.  So I'm not sure we're quite there yet... seems like you would need another table to pull summary data into by date/technician.  Let me know what you think.

PBI Summary excepting values.jpg

hey @danrmcallister,

Thanks for your answer, I think it is good, just little bit complicated. Someone helped me in my other post, and it seems like that it's working, it's simpler a little bit than your code, take a look at it: https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Desktop/filtering-days/m-p/128948#M54799

Makes sense, thanks for the link!

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.