Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Zu
Helper I
Helper I

customized region data type

Hi,

My organization uses custumized regions for management purposes. As an example we have one region called "Europe and Middle East" and "Asia Pacific". I need to create a map visualisation to show some data per region (organisation region). Is it possible to define custumized regions and link them to the real country names in order to have a map that shows our data per regions (same color for all countries that form one or regions), totals and legends to represented with our internal regions?

if yes, How can I accomplish this?

Thanks,

Zu

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Sean
Community Champion
Community Champion

@Zu

You can't use the Legend and Color Saturation at the same time!

Remove anything you have in the Color Saturation

Place New Golder Region in the Legend and leave Region in Location and whatever you have in the Size

Then click the Formating Paint Brush and this is where you can set the Data Colors

The Table Next to my Map is the Matrix Preview Visual showing the new Cross-Highlighting feature

This should work.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Good Luck! Smiley Happy

Map with Regions.png

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
Sean
Community Champion
Community Champion

@Zu

If you have a region column in your data just place it in the Legend of a Map.

Map with Regions.gif 

If you don't how you proceed will depend on how many countries you have.

You could use a SWITCH statement (nested IFs) to assign the regions

Or you can create the Region column in the Query Editor - Add Column tab - Conditional Column

and use the User Interface to create it - again it would depend on how many countries you have.

Or you can use another table for this to obtain the region...

Hope this helps!

@Sean - Thanks for your reply! I'm new in Power BI so I'm don't know how to do some of this basic things. In my data table I have a column that is called region where I have a city country where the projects are located (see image data.png). I have a second column where I have my organization region  (New Golder region) that I populated with a vlookup in Excel before uploading the data.

In my visualisation I added a map and attempt like you mentioned to add the region or my organisation region to the Legend field of map but it didn't accept any of this two columns in that field. Is there something wrong with the way I created the data.

Also how did you got the colors to be by region, I can only have colors by the number of sites in each region. See my image map.png

Also I tried to create a table of data next to the map as you did but is not connected to the map. How you did this? how did you got the countries and regions to show in hierarchical view in the table next to the map? .

Thanks,

Zu

my data

map

Here are my images:

data.PNGmap.PNG

Sean
Community Champion
Community Champion

@Zu

You can't use the Legend and Color Saturation at the same time!

Remove anything you have in the Color Saturation

Place New Golder Region in the Legend and leave Region in Location and whatever you have in the Size

Then click the Formating Paint Brush and this is where you can set the Data Colors

The Table Next to my Map is the Matrix Preview Visual showing the new Cross-Highlighting feature

This should work.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Good Luck! Smiley Happy

Map with Regions.png

joeality
Frequent Visitor

@Sean

I'm having the same problem but I don't understand how you two solved the problem. Would you mind explaining it to me again. 

I have our company information set in region data and I need to assign those regions to countries. I have a separate .xls file with the headers "Country", "Region", and "Area" and the Region and Country are different types of grouping. How do I get the map to draw on this file?

@Sean

Thanks for help! I was able to setup the map and Matrix Preview as well. Smiley Happy

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.