Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

nanma94
Helper III
Helper III

customers count of previous month

I have a table with hospitals, and procedures, and procedure dates. 

I have a measure that counts for hospitals per month as long as they've ever done a procedure - this part is good

M_CountDistActiveAcct = CALCULATE(DISTINCTCOUNT(Procedure[Account__c]), FILTER(ALL(DateTable), DateTable[Date]<=MAX(DateTable[Date])))

Now I also need to know the hospital count previous month and 2 months prior in order to calculate the 3 months average (the requirement is for rolling 3 months trending chart. 

My Previous month hospital count is like below: 

M_CountDistActiveAcctPreMonth = CALCULATE(DISTINCTCOUNT(Procedure[Account__c]), FILTER(ALL(DateTable), DateTable[Date]<=DATEADD(ENDOFMONTH(DateTable[Date]), -1, MONTH)))

but this doesnt returns a value back - I also found endofmonth doesnt not always return the right dates, but I have to use endofmonth or lastdate to return a one row one column table for "dateadd" to work. Max returns a date value which doesnt work in "dateadd".  I have calendar table behind linked to precedure dates. 

Capture.PNG

Thank you so much!
NM

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

@nanma94 : Thanks for the clarification, please modify the measure. I am assuming if the procedure has not been done, the cell will be blank.

=CALCULATE(DISTINCTCOUNT(Hospitals[Hospitals]),DATESBETWEEN(Cal[Date],EDATE(MAX(Cal[Date]),-3),MAX(Cal[Date])),FILTER(ALL(Hospitals),Hospitals[Procedure]<>BLANK()))

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
ChandeepChhabra
Impactful Individual
Impactful Individual

@nanma94 Can you please share the file?

Is your final output 3 months rolling avg ?

@ChandeepChhabra  my last column on the screen shot is only the hospital count of previous month. 

I would need to know the count of current month, previous month, and 2 months prior to calculate rolling 3 months average hospital count. In real life, the month over month hospital count changes are like 120, 140, 150. So the incremental is only the new hospitals. 

I havent figure out a good way to mask my data:(

@nanma94 I assumed some dummy data and created a rolling distinct count of hospitals for the last 3 months

Last 3 months Rolling Count =CALCULATE(DISTINCTCOUNT(Hospitals[Hospitals]),DATESBETWEEN(Cal[Date],EDATE(MAX(Cal[Date]),-3),MAX(Cal[Date])))

You can download the file here

@ChandeepChhabra Thank you for looking into this. I understand the rolling 3 months revenue can be done in the way you suggested. But for # of active hospitals (definition is whenever they have a procedure done in the entire procedure table history, from that time point on, they start to be counted as an active hospital),  I think I have to do it in the tedious way - get current month, prior month, and 2 months prior. sum them up and divided by 3. Because if you give a time range (3 months) to look at the # of active hospitals, its the same as by end of month 3 result. Its not a 3 month rolling average. 

@nanma94 : Thanks for the clarification, please modify the measure. I am assuming if the procedure has not been done, the cell will be blank.

=CALCULATE(DISTINCTCOUNT(Hospitals[Hospitals]),DATESBETWEEN(Cal[Date],EDATE(MAX(Cal[Date]),-3),MAX(Cal[Date])),FILTER(ALL(Hospitals),Hospitals[Procedure]<>BLANK()))

@ChandeepChhabra Thank you so much for the reply. I got ideas from your EDATE(MAX(DateTable[Date]),-3)

I leveraged this to get my prior  month, and 2 months prior. 

M_CountDistActiveAcctPreMonth = CALCULATE(DISTINCTCOUNT(Procedure[Account__c]), FILTER(ALL(DateTable), DateTable[Date]<=EDATE(MAX(DateTable[Date]),-1)))

M_CountDistActiveAcct2MonthPrior = CALCULATE(DISTINCTCOUNT(Procedure[Account__c]), FILTER(ALL(DateTable), DateTable[Date]<=EDATE(MAX(DateTable[Date]),-2)))

and my table looks correct now - Capture.PNG

Coming here asking beats hours of googling and guess work:) thanks a lot, 

NM

Anonymous
Not applicable

@nanma94 @ChandeepChhabra This is not working, can you help me. 

I have the below measure for disinct count of previous month. the value is blank 

HC KTN Employee previous month = CALCULATE(DISTINCTCOUNT('Data'[Column]),FILTER('Data','Data'[Temp/KTN]="KTN"),FILTER('Data','Data'[EOMonth]<=EDATE(MAX(Data[EOMonth]),-1)))

@nanma94 It could also be done using DATEADD nevertheless I am glad it worked!

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.