Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

mcraven1845
Frequent Visitor

custom function creates but expression error when add column/invoke custom function getting

I created a custom function to get the Year part of a date and then use that custom function inside of another more complex function.  Both functions create successfull but when I try to add column, invoke custom function it gives me 

An error occurred in the ‘FYR1’ query. Expression.Error: We cannot convert the value #date(2019, 7, 1) to type Function.
Details:
Value=7/1/2019
Type=Type

I'm new to this M language but I have had experience in programming.  Your help is appreciated!

Here is the complex function

let FYR1 = (CYR,UpgradeRpDate,CurrentMaint,UpgradeCost) => if CYR([UpgradeRpDate])="TRUE" then [CurrentMaint]+[UpgradeCost] else [CurrentMaint]
in FYR1

thanks in advance for your help!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hello, Thank you for your offer to help.  Chris Webb from Cross Join was able to help me.  I'll include the solution below for others to benefit from.

The correct and successful function is as follows - 

let Fiscalyr1 = (UpgradeRpDate,CurrentMaint,UpgradeCost) => if Date.IsInCurrentYear(Date.Year(UpgradeRpDate))=Date.Year(UpgradeRpDate) then

CurrentMaint+UpgradeCost

else CurrentMaint

in Fiscalyr1

I was using square brackets incorrectly in the original one.  You use square brackets when you’re calling the function because you’re getting values from the various columns on the current row. Inside the function, however, you’re working with function parameters and not columns on a row in a table.

This is now a solved issue.  thanks again for reaching out to help!

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
v-shex-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @mcraven1845,

I'm not so clear for your scenario(e.g. custom function parameter type, original table data structure), can you please provide more detailed information about these?

Regards,
Xiaoxin Sheng

Community Support Team _ Xiaoxin
If this post helps, please consider accept as solution to help other members find it more quickly.

Hello Xiaoxin, 

Thank you for your reply.  I appreciate your willingness to try and understand to help me.

Let me start with what I am trying to accomplish first and then maybe you can tell me a better/easier way to handle it.

I successfully created an excel worksheet to take the provided current year maintenance cost of equipment along with the next year maintenance cost to produce the projected cost for the next five years.  I used 4 of the 10 provided columns (2,3,9,10) below.  Here is a simple example to follow:

Current Yr        Next year     --------------------Fiscal Yr Cost----------------------------

Type       Maint cost      Maint cost    2019           2020            2021             2022              2023            update date     upgrade cost

software     1,000             1,100         1,000          1,100           1,760            1,331             1,464              7/1/2021             550

to calculate cost for each fiscal year the formulas are below

IF(YEAR(NOW())=[],[Current Year Maintenance]+[Upgrade/Replace Cost],[Current Year Maintenance])

IFERROR(next yr maint cost/ current yr maint cost,0)

2019 Fiscal Yr Cost à  IF(YEAR(NOW())=YEAR(update date),current yr maint cost+upgrade cost,current yr maint cost)

2020 Fiscal Yr Cost -> IF(YEAR(NOW())+1=YEAR(update date),( current yr maint cost * IFERROR(next yr maint cost/ current yr maint cost,0)

)+ upgrade cost, current yr maint cost * IFERROR(next yr maint cost/ current yr maint cost,0))

2021 Fiscal Yr Cost -> IF(YEAR(NOW())+2=YEAR(update date),( current yr maint cost * IFERROR(next yr maint cost/ current yr maint cost,0)^2)+ upgrade cost, current yr maint cost * IFERROR(next yr maint cost/ current yr maint cost,0)^2)

I’m having a hard time creating this formula as a function that works in powerBI or the M language which ever this is considered.  I am able to create the function successfully but when I go to add column>invoke custom function (which is available) it gives me the error.  

thanks for your help!

HI @mcraven1845,

According to your discretion, it seems like you need to calculate result based on current column value. It possible to get current column label as parameter to calculate in dax formula.

Can you lease share a pbix file with same data structure fake data so that I can test to coding formula on it?

Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

If this post helps, please consider accept as solution to help other members find it more quickly.

I would love to share it but I'm not sure exactly what the pbix file is or how to share it here? 

HI @mcraven1845

You can upload to onedrive or google drive and share link here. If your data are from external datasource, you can copy part of your records to excel sheet and pack it with your pbix file for share.

Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

Hello, Thank you for your offer to help.  Chris Webb from Cross Join was able to help me.  I'll include the solution below for others to benefit from.

The correct and successful function is as follows - 

let Fiscalyr1 = (UpgradeRpDate,CurrentMaint,UpgradeCost) => if Date.IsInCurrentYear(Date.Year(UpgradeRpDate))=Date.Year(UpgradeRpDate) then

CurrentMaint+UpgradeCost

else CurrentMaint

in Fiscalyr1

I was using square brackets incorrectly in the original one.  You use square brackets when you’re calling the function because you’re getting values from the various columns on the current row. Inside the function, however, you’re working with function parameters and not columns on a row in a table.

This is now a solved issue.  thanks again for reaching out to help!

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.