Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

goaltender36
Helper I
Helper I

current period measure

Hello,

I am trying to create a calculated measure that looks at my date table and can return the current period set in that table. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated. Basically I would like to create a dashboard that allows me to page filter based on what I have set as my period. I would think that it would say, "Display the current period where the current date matches the date tied to that period. Any thoughts?

PBItable.png

4 REPLIES 4

Current period and selected period are 2 different things. It sounds like you want selected period. You should create a calendar table and join it to your data table. Read about it here

http://exceleratorbi.com.au/power-pivot-calendar-tables/

* Matt is an 8 times Microsoft MVP (Power BI) and author of the Power BI Book Supercharge Power BI.

Hey @MattAllington,

Thank you for responding to my post! The picture in the original post was to serve as my Date Table where the date data type in that table is connected to a transaction table which shares a one to many relationship. I want my dashboard to return the data for the current period it is in. Our periods run from the 15th of the month to the 14th of the next month. I think what I am trying to do is like VLookup in excel but I may be wrong.  Essentially I want the measure to say , " the current period we are in is based on what the current date is in the Date Table where the current date has the assigned period"  hope that makes some sense??

Hi @goaltender36

yes, it's pretty clear what you want.

However, what @MattAllington was asking was this: do you want the measure to automatically determine "current period" based on "what day is it today (as in: date and time of viewing of the report)?"

or do you want the data to be sliced according to "period you or the user selected in a slicer/filter"?

HTH,

Frank

Hey @BetterCallFrank,

yes sir. I think a measure would be best so I could apply it to different visual, pages, or reports. I was having trouble how to write the DAX for it and when I researched I saw some who did M Query. I am still learning the tricks to power BI so thank you @BetterCallFrank and @MattAllington for your assistance. If a measure is not the proper solution what would be better?

thank you!

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.