Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

mrothschild
Continued Contributor
Continued Contributor

cumulative totals for some projects that have started and some that haven't

BI File: https://www.dropbox.com/s/rbjoqspdjdmtquq/Power%20BI%20Forum%20Sample.pbix?dl=0

Excel Data: https://www.dropbox.com/s/i95ssp7bjxcglzt/Portfolio%20Tool%20-%20Standardized%20Multi%20Asset%20Mode...

I am setting up BI for projects, some of which start in the future and some of which have already started.  The data supporting this is essentially flattened, which I'm recognizing is a problem, but haven't had the time to figure out how to pivot it to work nicely with BI and my understanding of the new programming.

So what I'm trying to achieve, using the table below as a very simplified example, is to return a figure of 27,500, which would be the current debt of projects that have started, plus the starting debt of projects that haven't yet started.

Again, my data is flattened, so the "GROUPBY" or "SUMMARIZE" is necessary and I've used them, but only really via cut/paste to make them work rather than a deep understanding of what they're actually doing.  

Project StartStarting DebtCurrent Debt
 10/31/201890008500
 3/31/2019150000
 6/30/201940000
TOTAL 280008500
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
moumipanja
Employee
Employee

1. Create a measure which will sum up the current debt of projects that have started

Measure1 = CALCULATE(SUM('Sheet2 (2)'[Current Debt]),FILTER('Sheet2 (2)','Sheet2 (2)'[Project Start]<=TODAY()))

2. Create a measure which will sum up the starting debt of projects that have not yet started

Measure2 = CALCULATE(SUM('Sheet2 (2)'[Starting Debt]),FILTER('Sheet2 (2)','Sheet2 (2)'[Project Start]>TODAY()))

3. Create another measure that will sum up the above two measures and display the result in a Card 

Measure = [Measure1]+[Measure2]

You will the following result

1.JPG

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
moumipanja
Employee
Employee

1. Create a measure which will sum up the current debt of projects that have started

Measure1 = CALCULATE(SUM('Sheet2 (2)'[Current Debt]),FILTER('Sheet2 (2)','Sheet2 (2)'[Project Start]<=TODAY()))

2. Create a measure which will sum up the starting debt of projects that have not yet started

Measure2 = CALCULATE(SUM('Sheet2 (2)'[Starting Debt]),FILTER('Sheet2 (2)','Sheet2 (2)'[Project Start]>TODAY()))

3. Create another measure that will sum up the above two measures and display the result in a Card 

Measure = [Measure1]+[Measure2]

You will the following result

1.JPG

Thanks for your help - because my data is flattened your solution didn't quite work exactly, but it got me where I needed to be.  I needed to add a filter to a calculate so the formula looks like this which is essentially 3 measures:  (A) total starting debt outstanding per project, (B) starting debt outstanding for projects that have already started and (C) Current outstanding debt for projects that have already started.  

The outcome is (A) - (B) + (C).  So in the example from the table I provided earlier would be 28,000 - 9,000 + 8,500 = 27,500 to get to the same outcome.

Debt Outstanding on Deployed and Pipeline Deals =
CALCULATE(
SUMX(
GROUPBY('_Bronn Portfolio Analysis Table','_Bronn Portfolio Analysis Table'[Asset ID],'_Bronn Portfolio Analysis Table'[Debt Outstanding]),
'_Bronn Portfolio Analysis Table'[Debt Outstanding]
),
FILTER('_Bronn Portfolio Analysis Table','_Bronn Portfolio Analysis Table'[Count]=0)
)

-

CALCULATE(
SUMX(
GROUPBY('_Bronn Portfolio Analysis Table','_Bronn Portfolio Analysis Table'[Asset ID],'_Bronn Portfolio Analysis Table'[Debt Outstanding]),
),
FILTER('_Bronn Portfolio Analysis Table','_Bronn Portfolio Analysis Table'[Count]=0),
FILTER('_Bronn Portfolio Analysis Table','_Bronn Portfolio Analysis Table'[Lease Start Date]<today())
)

+

SUMX (
FILTER (
'_Bronn Portfolio Analysis Table',
DATE ( YEAR ( '_Bronn Portfolio Analysis Table'[Calendar Month] ), MONTH ( '_Bronn Portfolio Analysis Table'[Calendar Month] ), 1 )
= DATE ( YEAR ( TODAY () ), MONTH ( TODAY () ), 1 )
),
)

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.